Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Medicine Oil?

Why is the oil industry the only industry that raises prices when they only have the POTENTIAL for issues to arise? I remember when the Exxon Valdes spilled oil in Alaska and suddenly ALL of the oil companies raised prices because of the cost to Exxon on the clean up.

Excuse me?

If I had a sports bar and I was in competition with three other sports bars and I had a fire in my bar, do you think they'd raise prices while I rebuilt? No, they'd watch me die a slow and painful capitalistic death and celebrate their greater share of the sports bar market.


But with the oil companies, if they even hint that one of them is going to have issues, everyone gets in on the "let's screw the average Joe" mentality. So, Hurricane Katrina is going to move through the Gulf of Mexico... let's raise prices! Is there any damage? Don't know, raise prices! But we don't even know what the impact is to the market? We don't need to know, raise prices!

What a scam!

Long mileage hybrids can't come soon enough for me. And here's a message to the hybrid car makers... if home electricians can load up your hybrid car's trunk with batteries and turn their 40 mpg cars into 200 mpg cars, don't you think you guys could at least offer that as an option?

I can't be the only person who thinks of this stuff... I'm simply not that smart!

I should have started an oil company or an insurance company. I'd be filthy rich and then, perhaps, I would understand the justification for screwing hard earned cash out of every American citizen for the sake of my own, excessively deep pockets.

*Sigh* Nah, that wouldn't have helped... my damn morals would have gotten in the way.

1 comment:

Pete Bauer said...

Yeah, it turns out the hurricane really impacted our refineries... so I guess my blog posting was a little premature. At this point, its more about supply than it is about price. I filled up today on the way to work. Dea is going to as well.