Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Mortality

This year there have been three funerals of people I know. It has forced me to revisit my mortality. As I have looked upon the coffins of my friends and family, I am forced to wonder how long before I end up there as well.

The one constant in life is that every living thing dies.

It made me realize how fervently our society avoids the inevitability of death. It is as if we are all a bunch of non-swimmers restfully picnicing on a beach while a massive tidal wave slowly approaches. Perhaps if we spent more time accepting the natural process of death, we would spend more effort in securing our place after we leave this planet. Instead, we blissfully ignore the ticking clock within all of us, certain that we will somehow know or control when the second hand stops moving.

I don't so much fear death as I don't want to miss my family's lives. I want to grow old with my wife, holding her hand in mine. I want to see my children grow and see their joy when they hold their own children for the first time. And, personally, I just want to feel like I've made a difference. Like my existence was important or memorable, even if only to God.

Yesterday I attended a beautiful service. It was touching and full of love and grace and acceptance and divine hope. It was a celebration of one's life, not the pain of one's death. And that's the way we should all approach the inevitable moment when we are called to leave here... with appreciation and joy and the certainty that we will all be together again... someday.


No comments: