Monday, February 20, 2006

My Future Is Waffles

My family and I had dinner with my parents the night before they headed back to their house in North Carolina. While eating dinner, I saw the future of my own life. The older I get the more I realize that I will become like my parents whether I like it or not. So, as I watched my 82 year old father converse with my almost-80 year old mother, I knew it was only a preview of coming atractions with my wife.

It's not word for word, but the conversation went something like this...

******************

DAD: What was that thing?

MOM: What thing?

DAD: You know.

MOM: No, I don't.

DAD: Yes you do.

MOM: What are you talking about?

DAD: What was that thing I like?

MOM: I don't know.

DAD: Yes you do!

MOM: I don't know what you're talking about.

DAD: When we... the thing... you know!

MOM: No, I don't.

DAD: You know, we get it whenever we stop.

MOM: Stop where?

DAD: When we're driving.

MOM: I don't know.

DAD: We had it the other day.

MOM: We had what?

DAD: The thing I like.

MOM: When?

DAD: When we stopped. We have it whenever we stop driving.

MOM: To eat?

DAD: Yes. What was it?

MOM: Waffles?

DAD: Yes! That's it! Waffles. But what was it?

MOM: Blueberry waffles.

DAD: Right!

MOM: With whipped cream around it.

DAD: It is so good.

MOM: We ate it at the Waffle House.

DAD: Right. Do they have that here?

MOM: No, we're at Ruby Tuesdays.

DAD: It was delicious. The kids would love it.

MOM: But whenever we stop at the Waffle House you ask for pancakes.

DAD: I know.

MOM: And I always have to tell you they don't serve pancakes at a Waffle House.

DAD: I know. (thinks for a moment) What did I like?

MOM: Their blueberry waffles.

DAD: Right.

MOM: With whipped cream.

DAD: Right, it sure was good. The kids would love it.

They pause for a moment. My Dad looks up to my Mom.

DAD: I sure hate it when you can't remember anything.

********************

And THAT is my future. Guaranteed. I'll have a five minute conversation about blueberry waffles. It's my destiny.

No comments: