Wednesday, September 20, 2006

"I forgive, I forgive"

"I forgive, I forgive" were the last words of Sister Leonella Sgorbati spoke as she was gunned down on the way to work at a hospital in Mogadishu, Somalia. Her murder was in retaliation of the mis-interpretation of Pope Benedict's comments on Islam.

This is a perfect example of the polar opposites of the two religions.
  • The Christian nun responds to her own death by forgiving her enemies, like Christ.
  • The radical Islamic's response to the Pope quoting a 14th-Century discussion between a Byzantine emperor and a learned Persian, which included the phrases "evil and inhuman" was to fulfill the evil and inhuman view by killing an innocent nun.
How will these two theologies ever find peace? They've been battling for centuries. I hope God intervenes to find some common ground.

You can read the entire article about the bravery of Sister Sgorbati in her last moments HERE on Catholic Online.

I hope the Pope demands an apology from those responsible for the innocent Christian lives taken from this world.

No comments: