Saturday, December 23, 2006

The "Backyard"

These are pictures labelled The Backyard. Exciting? No. I'm assuming they are from the land in Tewksbury that my parents used to build their first house.

UPDATE: I'm up here with my Mom and she's teling me that this first picture is of the backyard in Tewksbury... they had to cut all of the trees by hand. They built their house by hand, living in a tar paper shack until the basement was completed, then they moved the shack over on top of the basement and they lived in that as they built up their house around them... and I think I have problems!

This is another picture of the backyard that shows a stone wall they were building, a hand made ladder my Dad fashioned and a burn barrel used to dispose of garbage. The boulders and rocks were actually dug out from where the basement was built and on the left hand side you can see a stack of cinder blocks that were to be used for the basement walls.

6 comments:

Paul said...

I fondly remember that stone wall. By the time I came around, the wall was covered with moss and lichen. If I went "over" the wall I was no longer in the "backyard", but in the deep woods near where those "Billerica kids" lived. Once there, I spent a lot of time trying to find salamanders under rotting logs, avoiding lady slippers, and watching daddy long legs make their way across the leaf litter.

Anonymous said...

I am a reporter for the Tewksbury Advocate trolling for stories on the Internet and found this photo. Pete, please drop me a line. Perhaps we could talk about your Tewksbury history and your faith/film agenda.

lkush@cnc.com

Paul said...

Agenda? Yes, Peter, what is your agenda?

Cricket said...

Pete doesn't know how the spell 'agenda' let alone make one out!

Cricket said...

Why is Linda asking Pete? Heck, he left Tewksbury when he was like 3 years old! She should get a conference call together with the whole family! Now THAT would be fun!

Cricket said...

Paul - I too remember that wall. I always thought it was just there, like the native Indians made it or something. Never occurred to me that Dad had built it. We used to play basketball in that area. That's were Mr. Liberti got elbowed where it hurts! I remember a rock protruding from the ground on the far right hand side. We started to dig it up one day and learn it was really the tip of a huge boulder! We just repacked the dirt after that episode.