Wednesday, January 31, 2007

6-Pack + 17 Yrs x 2 Surgeries = 2 Liter

When I used to act for a living, my primary concern was making sure my product, i.e. me, was in the best shape I could be. I spent hours a day at the gym and it paid off. I was never in better shape.

The thing I worked hardest on was my stomach. We have, in our genome, a thing called The Bauer Belly. So, I was determined never to fall prey to its inevitable power and fought the insistent genetics by doing hundreds of sit-ups a night while watching TV.

While converting some old VHS tapes to DVD, I stumbled across a video of me at my peak (see below).

Well, 17 years and two intestinal surgeries later, my once proud six-pack has turned into a two-liter that no amount of sit-ups will ever fix. My flattened tummy muscles have been forever destroyed and I am left looking in the mirror wishing I could look as I once did. I mean, hell, I still sit in front of the TV, except now, doing 100 crunches would only exacerbate my already malformed stomach muscles.

Oh well, at least I can say I had a six-pack once... a long, long, long time ago.

And don't even get me started on my once full head of dark hair...

4 comments:

Bob J said...

Photoshop RULZ!!Actually very amazing. Never forget. It happens for those few brief shining moments

Pete Bauer said...

LOL... actually, to create this image today I'd need Photoshop, bailing wire, some chewing gum and the spring from a ball point pen.

Pete Bauer said...

KT - that's amazing. You're right! I'm working on putting the vids together... I'll put together the raw footage and then make a highlight reel so you don't have to sit through the jokes that missed if you don't want to :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm . . . six pack abs and eating french fries . . . I'm not sure the surgeries had anything to do with it.