Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Bible 1 vs. Bible 2

As any of you who visit here know, I've been reading a daily missal from pre-Vatican II and I find it much more to my liking and more in line, I believe, with the true catechism of the Catholic Church.

Here's an example from Ezekiel 18:21...

Vatican I Missal:

But if the wicked do penance for all his sins which has has committed, and keep all My commandments, and do judgment and justice: living he shall live and shall not die.

Vatican II Bible from the New American Catholic Bible (http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/bible/ezekiel/ezekiel18.htm):

But if the wicked man turns away from all the sins he committed, if he keeps all my statutes and does what is right and just, he shall surely live, he shall not die.

********

The Vatican I Missal uses words like penance and commandments, which are tied to the sacrament of confession and the ten commandments. The Vatican II Bible doesn't mention penance, merely the act of turning away from sin... I can do that without confession. And statutes is not the same as commandments.

Why the change? I don't know.

And to be honest, I don't really know which is the more accurate translation. But, I do know the Vatican I Missal reading is more in line with my faith than the second one.

No comments: