Friday, June 08, 2007

Sex Over Violence

I've always wondered why people are more concerned about shielding their children from Sex than from Violence. I find it funny that people will refrain from talking about the scientific and social aspects of sexuality with their teens and pre-teens, but don't have a problem with those same children seeing a movie with a high body count, watching a movie with witchcraft, or hacking apart aliens, gargoyles or zombies in some video game.

Is not God offended by violence? Is not one of the Commandments Thou Shalt Not Kill? If I had to guess, I'd think God would be more offended by violence than sex. Either perverted can pull you away from God and His graces, but sex is a natural act and morality is about controlling those impulses as to keep them pure to God's intent. I understand that. However, murder is not a natural act, but we expose our kids to violent images everyday in film, television and video games without a concern for their psychology nor their moral health. But, show cleavage and suddenly the world is ending.

Again, I'm not saying protecting your children from immoral behavior of any kind is bad, but I do think we're often hypocritical in our approach of deciding which one of God's offenses are more valid than the next. And in our world now, Sex wins over Violence every time.

No comments: