Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Importance of Feeling Important

At work I recently overheard a conversation about faith, or lack thereof. One person was an ex-Catholic who was very proud of their lack of faith. You could tell by the person's mannerisms, their certainty of spiritual uncertainty, the force in their voice. The other person in the conversation was a parent who's child was starting to ask questions about God. The parent is married to a spouse who's Catholic but the parent, in their own words, "is nothing" when it comes to faith.

As I listened to their conversation, getting more and more offended because of my own personal beliefs, I kept imploring the Holy Spirit to tell me what to say or what to do, but my emotions were getting the best of me, so the Holy Spirit had me say nothing. It was very frustrating.

Afterwards I thought about two things. The actor in me immediately started a self evaluation. What was it about their conversation that was getting me so mad? When they were dismissing Catholicism I felt as if they were dismissing a part of me. Plus, I was offended that they would have such a discussion in an open office without taking into consideration that others around them may have faith and even be Catholic.

The second thing I realized is that these two people reveled in their own importance. By dismissing organized religion, even though the ex-Catholic was baptized, received first communion, confirmation and was even an altar server, they were somehow elevating themselves above God. They bolstered their superiority about not needing organized religion and spouted some inaccurate comments about the Crusades.

I really wanted to say something, but instead felt called to simply pray for them. Their souls are at stake and they don't even know it.

The parent has a great and wonderful opportunity to enlighten their child about God and Jesus, yet is completely ill equipped to do so and has no real interest in trying. I wonder, on our judgment day, how we will be held accountable for our children's faith. And the ex-Catholic has fashioned strong legs to support their belief in their own disbelief and proudly stands on those legs in divine defiance.

The saddest part is that these are two very nice people who have confused being nice with being holy. And, what is even sadder, is that I hear more and more of these conversations from people.

In the end I simply thank God for the gift of time.

When I look back at where I was 10 years ago in regards to my faith, I cannot believe what I felt was appropriate then compared to what I feel is acceptable now. I am so much more aware of my actions, my sins and my failings... not in some morbid sense of guilt, but in the constant focus for spiritual improvement.

I hope there is enough time in these co-worker's lives to find their faith.

When I see a world so blatantly and openly faithless I can only ask God to help our children. And, most of all, be with those who have lost their faith or their way. As Jesus said, He is the light of the world. If only more people would realized just what a darkened life they truly lead.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scary, isn't it Pete? However, the fact that they deny a faith only proves that they know there is a God. If they didn't believe that, why be so offensive about faith? Those people who were crossing the bridge in Minnesota, didn't think they'd never get across before they had to face Almighty God; neither did the men who went down into the mine that morning know their lives may end. (at this time, we don't know. but I'm sure they are praying to God for help.)

Anonymous said...

Continued: During WWII, there was a phrase we heard very often. "There are no atheist in a fox hole."
I have found that people who profess no faith or church affiliation, eventually realize they are missing something. They may not find God, but HE will find them. Ketlevin

Pete Bauer said...

Yes, after 9/11, the churches were packed. How soon we forgot. Or how soon we lose our focus on the prize.

Anonymous said...

...maybe not a prize, but a gift. Your faith is a gift. As you looked back 10 years ago, and look at your faith today, I'm sure you don't see it as a burden, but rather an extreem gift that allows you to see things as they truly are.

Cricket said...

Reminds me of the parable of the seed being sown on different types of soil. (Luke 8:4-15). Here the seed fell on rocky ground (great description). Jesus explains...'they receive the word with joy but they have no root; they believe only for a time and fall away in times of trial.' He follows with "there is nothing hidden that will not become visible, and nothing secret that will not be known and come to light. Take care, then, HOW YOU HEAR." (caps mine) Bet they have prayed in the past but didn't LOOK for the answer that was provided!! When they 'see' the error of their ways and its impact on others, let's pray they have the humility to seek His forgiveness.

Pete Bauer said...

When I think of it, I guess we grew up in an idyllic time. Post WWII was a great time in our history, the country was unabashedly Christian and grateful and understood sacrifice. Granted, it wasn't perfect, but in this area, we were at least embracing our heritage as a nation. Now, our society resembles so many of those other nations that have fallen to idols of play.

Mary K Smith said...

I read recently that we live in a society where God is acknowledged - but ignored. The thought of actually giving our God and creator His due is not acceptable in the United States. One is considered foolish to do so.

On another related topic...well, not related...but it has to do with distraction in prayer. The catechism says that our distractions teach us what is more important to us than God.