Thursday, September 27, 2007

Life Changes

Once crossing over 40 I realized I had to decide how I wanted to grow older. Gone are the days where your body forgives your every sin. After seeing my weight slowly escalate every doctor visit over the past year I decided to make some changes which, collectively, have made a great impact.

The first and most effective change I made was to no longer eat anywhere that has a drive-thru window. It is AMAZING how much better I felt within a week of giving up fast food.
  • I gave up caffeine.
  • I drink about 1 1/2 Qt of water a day.
  • I drink V8 everyday.
  • I drink fat free milk.
  • Limit my portions involving cheese.
  • I take vitamins.
  • I eat more fiber.
  • I've almost eliminated red meat, focusing more on chicken, turkey and fish.
  • I eat more protein and less carbs.
  • I floss every night.
  • I exercise at least 3 days a week.
  • I limit my portions of sweets far more drastically than ever before.
  • Pretty much eliminated chips and pizza from my diet.
My previous health issues have already damaged my long-term health, so I need to do my best to take care of what I have left. So far, these changes have been great. I feel a million times better. And, surprisingly, making these changes wasn't that difficult. As Bob J. said, "it just becomes more important than anything else."

And he's right.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are off to a great start! Has your weight changed?
But giving up caffeine, now that would hurt me, literally because I would get headaches until it got out of my system.
And yes, Bob J. is right!

Loretta

Pete Bauer said...

Yeah, the weight is starting to come off. I promised not to really weigh myself for at least a month.

But, my clothes are getting baggy. :)

Anonymous said...

Good for you, so now I don't have to send you that bread pudding I made? Only kidding, but I must make it soon, my freezer is getting full of slices of bread I've been saving. Keep it up. Love ya, Ketlevin

Ramsey Days said...

So basically you arent eating anything then?!

Good for you Pete. I've been on the treadmill every day this week, and need to cut out sweets as well( that is my downfall!)--

I've never owned a scale!!

Keep it up!

Love you and see ya soon
KT

Paul said...

I'm saving up for my next disease.