Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A Father's Illness

I spent most of the Thanksgiving holiday on the road. I drove up to my brother Steve's house on Friday. Together we rode up to NC to visit my father in the nursing home on Saturday. We spent some time with him in the morning. He looked quite ill and had lost a lot of weight. The prognosis is not good. Later we went back to my sister Mary's house, had a nice discussion with my Mom about Dad. We then went to Mass, saw Dad again one more time before Steve and I headed back to his house.

I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to see my father, hold his hand, kiss is face and tell him I love him. He is still mentally aware, but worn down by years of Parkinson's and the various other infections and ailments he is dealing with now.

It was nice to see most of my family while being up there and to spend the drives to and from NC with my brother Steve. We are so blessed to have such a loving, caring family. We all get along so well and love spending time together.

The drive back home Sunday was long and I took Monday, my 42nd birthday, off from work so I could recover both physically and emotionally from the trip.

Now I just pray that God's Will be done with my father's health. He's led a good, spiritual and loving life. He has taught me to interact with my children at their level... something of which I have learned is a rare thing. He has taught me the correct priorities in marriage... God, spouse, children. He is a wonderful example, even now, of how to live one's life.

I hope he hears my prayers and they somehow relieve his burden.

4 comments:

Ricardo Mendoza Wheeler said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad, we're having a similar situation with my grandpa and it hurts... So I feel for you and your family.
Thanks very much for following our adventures in the movie world.
It is a very difficult road but at the same time very rewarding.
Oh and to answer your question about how the movie would be shown on TV...
Well we sign a distribution deal for ALL rights including TV, so as of now we really don't know when or where it show...
Thanks again for your support!
Ricardo Mendoza
email me any time at rm at digitalworkstudios dot com
cool.

Anonymous said...

It was wonderful to have you here. I have a bunch of crazy kids who keep me laughing when I need it. It has been wonderful, also, having you for 42 years...You have been a joy from birth, even though you ruined one piece of furniture with your rocking. Love you. Ma

Ramsey Days said...

Very well said Uncle Pete!

c.a.b. said...

::sigh::

love,
catherine