Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Father's Burial

Well, the long process of burying my father finally came to a conclusion this weekend. This past Friday, the day after Valentine's Day, family and friends again gathered at Bay Pines Cemetery to wish my father a final farewell and place his ashes in the ground.

Upon arriving, spirits were high. Seeing distant family again and my father's co-workers from decades past was a blessing and many funny memories were shared.

As we drove to the actual location of the burial in this grand cemetery, my emotions were fine. I had come to a wonderful peace about my father's passing and had remained relatively sadness-free for the past month... that is until my wife notices the sailors dressed in their best whites, especially the one holding the horn to play taps.... that's when my emotions flooded back. It was difficult to keep from bursting into tears.

The immediate family sat in an outdoor pavilion near my father's plot as Father Pecchie spoke of his memories of my father and finalized the funeral that had started in North Carolina almost six weeks previously. Afterwards, the Navy sailors played taps, refolded the flag and handed it to my mother, thanking her for my father's service to his country.

It was very moving.

Afterwards we moved over to his plot and prayed while his ashes were placed into the ground. Then Dea, the kids and I circled his plot, held hands and prayed an Our Father, three Hail Mary's and a Glory Be, then thanked my father once more for his example and love.

We followed the burial with a celebration at my brother's house. Food was aplenty and Betty did a great job of organizing and hosting the event. The DVD I had made for my father was shown again and those who had not seen it before were greatly touched.

The rest of the time we spent sharing and laughing, remembering and simply loving each other... just as Dad would have liked.

My sister Mary joked that "only Dad would stretch out this thing so long just to stay the center of attention." I followed with "yeah, now three holidays are attached to him... Christmas, New Years and Valentines!"

We had a lot of laughs.

That night most of us attended a Matt Maher concert and the following night we again got together for one final meal together before we all headed back home.


I love my family. I am so blessed to be a part of it. Full of love and faith and compassion and caring... it's a gift. A gift started by my parents and an equal reflection of my mother and my father.

Their legacy will live on for generations.

4 comments:

Ramsey Days said...

Thanks for the post Pete. Wish we could have been down there too.

I've had a nasty cold since Saturday, and 2 nights I have laid in bed for 2-3 hours wide awake--and i thought of Grampa during lots of those hours.

:)

Anonymous said...

Fr. Pecchie, not Pesce.

Pete Bauer said...

Fixed Father's name. Sorry about that.

Rob said...

I read this and think about my own dad. He has cancer and is in the hospital as I write this. If you can do a favor for me and put a prayer request in at your church and ask for prayer for my dad I would greatly appreciate it. He has testicular cancer and will be on his 3 kemo session where he has to stay at the hospital for a week. Its been hard on my mom and my little sister. Thanks for your prayers.