Friday, April 25, 2008

3:10 to Yuma (2007)

3:10 to Yuma is one of the most interesting films I've seen in a very long time. It unfolds in such a unique way, with such flawed lead characters and unexpected paths in the mix, that it really took my by surprise.

A remake of the 1957 film, this film is directed by James Mangold (Copland, Girl Interrupted, Identity) stars Christian Bale as Dan Evans, a one-legged ex-Civil War vet who inadvertently crosses paths with a ruthless outlaw, Ben Wade, played by Russell Crowe. After a heist and an error in judgement, Crowe is captured and Bale is one of the men being paid to make sure Crowe gets on the 3:10 train to Yuma.

What is so wonderful about this film is that the characters are so well rounded. You have Bale who is both noble and impotent. You feel his pain as he struggles to maintain his land and keep his family intact, yet you get frustrated when his own weakness interferes with his own success. You have Crowe as a cold-blooded killer who can be both charming and scary. You feel, if things had been just a little different in his life, he would have been a great man.

In the end, you feel that both men are not where they want or intended to be, but simply where they ended up. And that their paths happen to cross and eventually join is mere happenstance.

The last half-hour of 3:10 to Yuma is pretty great cinema and you'll find yourself drawn in and moved by these two very flawed, very human characters.

5 comments:

Cricket said...

Liked the movie too. I thought the most devious time for Russell Crowe's character was when he whistled for his horse which for me was also a most sad reflection on what Bale's character sacrificed.

Anonymous said...

Hate to say this, but I almost fell asleep in the middle. No I don't hate to say that. "I almost fell asleep during the middle of the picture." Ma

Pete Bauer said...

Steve - I agree.
Ma - That's cuz you're old :)

Anonymous said...

I just knew my age would come into play. OR it may have been that Loretta and Bob, who had seen it, were in their seats ASLEEP.(I was watching it at their house.)

Anonymous said...

Thanks mom, I new we'd get dragged in this....lol......
Loved it the first time we saw it, did sleep through it the 2nd time we saw it.....lol Yeah I know age gets yah.


Loretta & Bob