Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Pain of Fear

With all of the stress and concern over the financial crisis we, along with many of our church friends, have really been hit hard by these events. The mental toll and worry have been palatable for most.

During Mass this passed Sunday, I was praying about the pain associated with that weight on us and I thought back to the many times in my life where the world had seemed to weigh heavy upon me. After months of trying to fight those tough events and fearing the worst, they always ended up so painful that I would just give the problems up to God.

That moment of release, of choosing faith over fear, was always immediately followed by an incredible sense of release and deep, inner peace.

In talking with DC I explained that it doesn't mean the road will get any easier, only that the Lord will give you the strength to travel it.

During Mass it occurred to me that the pain we feel prior to that moment of trust, that moment of faith, is the pain of holding on so tightly to a problem the Lord is trying to pull from us, a problem of which he already has the solution. The longer we hold on, the tighter we grasp and try to control those areas of life, the more painful it becomes, until finally, we are unable to deal with it anymore. Then, and only then, do we release those problems and allow God to perform his will in our lives.

So, tonight, I learned from my previous lessons and let go early. Take the worries, Lord. Take the weight of fear. Take the pain of holding on to that which I cannot control. Take it. And surprise me with your solution.

I can't wait to see what He comes up with.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Smart move.
Even though I know that, I still fall into the "worry" syndrome. Then it dawns on me. I can't do anything about this, Lord you handle it. The release of the pressure is so invigorating, you can concentrate on minor issues, like raking the driveway. Enjoy your day, Love, Ma

Anonymous said...

Uncle Pete,

I think that God intended for you to write this post so you could reach the rest of us who can relate to the pain and stress of the recent crisis. The past week or two has been particularly difficult. I'm glad you wrote this because it reminds me that I am not the only person feeling this stress and with that reminder comes community and strength. I will let go early and stop worrying as well - I have been doing a lot of that lately. Thank you for what you wrote. I can't wait to see what He comes up with either :-)

Pete Bauer said...

The greatest lesson I've learned from PUSA is that God already knows the solution, we just have to let him implement it. Doesn't mean it's easy to hand it over to him... especially when it's something you really care about, but I know his solution is always better than mine :)

Love you both!

Cricket said...

I too am scared! The financial crisis in this Ga home is serious. All I have is God. He'll do.

This got me to thinking...
I am not experiencing fear to the point of sweating blood.
I am not experiencing pain to the point of being scourged.
I am not feeling a heavy weight to the point of carrying a cross a long distance after much blood loss.
And my pain is no where near that of being nailed to a cross and left for dead!

Yet, I still fear and still sense a weight of worry. I see its impact on my family and am burdened even more. Looking back is like taking a sanity check. NO ONE has been better to me and my family than my God! He is ALWAYS faithful!