Monday, November 10, 2008

Dear Anonymous

I realized something this weekend.

I've been blogging here for over three years now, putting my thoughts down, my feelings and my theories covering subjects from illness to faith to the various stupid things I do.

Recently, when I've stated some thoughts I had about Obama or the election or faith and politics, I've received some very interesting feedback in the comments section... good feedback, thought-provoking feedback, usually in opposition of my stance, but worthy of discussion, none-the-less.

However, almost all of these differing views are inputted by the vague and faceless person called Anonymous. Either the person(s) didn't want to sign up for a blogspot login or didn't want to put their real name at the bottom of the comment or they simply forgot to sign their name... whatever the reason, their viewpoint is "personless." And, in my mind, valueless.

So, from now on I'm going to ignore any comment(s) left by Anonymous based simply on the fact that my ideas have a name and a face and yours do not. As a matter of fact, I'm going to delete all future Anonymous comments left on my blog.

Hey, if you want to disagree with me, awesome! I love a good debate. That's the way my father raised me. But, if you're not willing to attach your real name to your comment, then I can only surmise that you don't really feel that strongly about it and it's not worth reading.

So, Anonymous, where ever you are, feel free to stop by and read all you want. But, if you want to participate, at least have the courage to put your real name to it.

Otherwise, don't let the virtual door hit you on your way back out to the internet.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ramsey Days said...

Awesome Uncle Pete:)

Cricket said...

Mr. America kicks Anonymous out! Dad did raise you to engage in good debate...until you had a better argument that was well supported. Then he didn't debate anymore! (That's because he accomplished his goal...to see that we have developed our own well substantiated opinions!)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pete Bauer said...

Anonymous, that's the dumbest thing I've heard yet. Typical input from someone incapable of standing up for their opinion.

Since I'll be deleting your entry, most people won't know what you said, but the jist of it is that, deep down, I somehow want to limit outside participation.

You really think I lay awake at night worried about anonymous cowardly input on my blog? Like your vague, faceless input touches some deeply buried wound in my psyche. Really? You can't be serious.

I don't know what is so hard for people to understand.

What I want is for people to have the gonads to put their name behind their words. Hiding behind Anonymous speaks volumes of you, not of me. If you aren't strong enough to do that (which you are obviously not) then that's a sad statement on you and your lack of convictions, not me.

Maybe, deep down, that's what you want... to hide. Cause you're doing a great job.

Anonymous said...

Well said!

Love you

Loretta

Anonymous said...

OK, I admit it was me.

Love
Barak

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Paul said...

I happened to log in this morning and catch the anonymous post before it was deleted. Mr. Anon said that he shouldn't have to write his name as it is a free country, plus he insisted that he doesn't know you. My response to him is 1) the fact that it is a free country has little to do with posting stuff on the internet, and 2) if he doesn't know you then why not put his name? It's not like you require his Social Security number and a photo ID... very odd.

PS I posted the Barak comment. Jonathan and I thought it was funny.

Anonymous said...

I know I'm coming in late on the tail end of this post but I just wanted to say:
Uncle Pete - you're right!
Uncle Paul - I cracked up at the Barak comment...hilarious!
Anonymous - grow a pair.

Brianna said...

I agree with Laura. This is just ridiculous now... Lets stick to the "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." little rule. Gimme a break anonymous!

Anonymous said...

My name is Ken. How that changes anything I dont know

Pete Bauer said...

Ken, it means you're not anonymous.