Wednesday, January 14, 2009

NCIS - Why am I so late to the party?

Having burned out on Law and Order, Law and Order: Special Victims Unit and Law and Order: Criminal Intent, I was looking for another quality show to watch during our family Prime Time... which is after dinner, but before any serious movie watching would occur or computer editing would start up.

When USA Network started showing NCIS, I decided to take a gander. Now, I'm totally hooked. I'm a NCIS groupie.

Donald P. Bellisario, the creator of Magnum PI, Quantum Leap and JAG, has made another excellent series in NCIS.

NCIS, now in its sixth season, follows a team of investigators from the Naval Criminal Investigation Service. They are led by the hard nosed Gibbs (Mark Harmon), an ex-marine who pushes his team hard. The members of his team include an ex-mossad agent, Ziva (Cote de Pablo), a charming womanizer (Michael Weatherly) and a computer geek (Sean Murray). Assisting them is the a forensics expert Abby (Pauley Perrette) and a coroner Ducky (David McCullum).

The show has really come into its own with a quick pace, interweaving plot lines, is exceptionally written and well performed. One of the things that they do so well in the show is to take a few moments in each episode to expand the personalities of the characters, giving them dimension and realism.

I've realized with NCIS, and also Firefly, that a sure fire sign that you're watching excellent writing is when you would love to spend time with the characters in real life. Both Firefly and NCIS create a wonderful sense of team using such divergent, yet complimenting characters that, after spending some time with them as a viewer, you feel like you are also part of the team.

I once read that 80% of directing is casting the right people and the NCIS cast is right on the money. Each of the actors is truly wonderful as their respective personalities in the team dynamic. I don't know how they really work on the set, but it looks like the cast and crew are having a lot of fun.

Now, I've added all of the previous NCIS episodes on my Netflix queue so we can start from the beginning and catch up.

If you're looking for a can't miss show, check out NCIS. After a few episodes, you'll be hooked too!

4 comments:

Karl said...

Welcome! my wife and I have been fans since it's start, but it seems a lot of critics don't like it. I enjoy the series becasue of the human element between the characters. Like you said "the show takes a few moments in each episode to expand the personalities of the characters, giving them dimension and realism."
I think that's why I like it.

Pete Bauer said...

Thanks Karl.

In a weird way, the characters all seem familiar somehow, without being stereotypical. We all know geeks and goths and people who talk a lot and womanizers and hard asses, but they offer enough characterization in the opposite direction to keep them interesting and unpredictable.

Mary K Smith said...

Pete, I too, could write a blog in NCIS. It has been Steve's favorite show for years. What I remember reading over the years - Mark Harmon lobbied for shorter hours and won. The back of the head slapping he does with the team is carried over from his off screen antics.
When we went to Israel two years ago we turned on the TV in the hotel only to see NCIS. It is VERY popular overseas.
Well, I guess I couldn't write a blog because that is all I know. But it is a great show. It is the first show we recorded with our new hdtv and whatever the pause and record thing is called.
It is 9 degrees here...cold.

Pete Bauer said...

Mary, you're so funny. The show just clicks. It's one of those lightning in a bottle shows. Rare. I hope it stays on for another 100 episodes.