Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Siblings and Spouses and Mom

As you get older you really learn to appreciate the value of time. It is so precious... probably the most valuable thing you have.

Over the years the Bauer clan has exploded exponentially. My brothers and sisters all had children and now their children are having children... the family dynamic went from being large, but manageable to outright genetic mayhem in a few short years.

Because of our increasing and deepening gene pool, the time with the immediate family has become more rare with each passing year. So, this holiday we decided to do something a little different. Dea and I invited all of the available Bauer siblings and their spouses to the house just to sit around and enjoy each others company. No kids, nieces, nephews, grand kids... just immediate family and spouses... oh, and Mom.

One of the greatest blessings bestowed on our family is the true joy we feel when we are together. I believe this stems directly from the infusion of the Holy Spirit into our family through the faith of my parents. There have been numerous times in my life where people, upon spending some quality time with my family, have commented to me just how special our relationships are with each other.

Before I just thought it was my family being my family. Now I realize it is a gift.

So, one by one, siblings and spouses (and Mom) arrived at the house, all bringing a few dishes to share. Unfortunately, Mary and Paul were not in town for Christmas, so they were unable to attend.

After everyone arrived, snacked a bit and indulged with some Johnston family wine, we all sat in an oval in our living room and just started chatting. Before long the laughter was loud and intense. I hadn't laughed that hard in a very long time. We talked about funny family stories, observations about life, the problems in the world, the challenges to our faith and how those challenges are reflected in our daily lives.

The entire event last about four hours and time just sped right by. It was so much fun! Words can scarcely express how wonderful that day was for me, together with my family.

We're all getting older... times like this will grow fewer and far between. The passing of my father last year is the first of an inevitable process of family decline. The more likely scenario is that such gatherings in the future will revolve around funerals.

However, for a single afternoon in Safety Harbor, we were able to fill our hearts with laughter and express our love through familial bonds. We were simply our family being a family.

It was a very special day to me... one that I will cherish for a very long time.

3 comments:

Karl said...

I couldn't agree more.

Anonymous said...

Laughter was an understatement. I am sure we all did at least a months worth of ab crunches just in our laughter alone!
I loved our time together, thank you everyone.

Loretta

Anonymous said...

It was a wonderful time, I'm so happy I was here to enjoy it. Thanks for hosting it.Love, Ma
I'm ready for SISS 2.