Friday, April 17, 2009

Name That Tune - "My God, My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me..."

So, here we are... Jesus has been nailed to a cross after having been unmercifully scourged. He's weak, bloodied, tired and dying. His life and, more importantly, his Passion has been an example of selflessness, of miracles, of redemption. And then Jesus says this...

"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me..."

Most people don't get that sentence. I recently listened to a "Christian scholar" on television talk about it being a comment of fear and loneliness.

WRONG!

Jesus' weakest moment during the Passion happened in the Garden, not on the Cross. Once Jesus asked that God's will be done over his own, he stayed the course.

Here's the deal. Jews sang songs. We call them Psalms. Songs written by David. Like any other song you sing a lot, it sticks in your head. Take "I Ran" by A Flock of Seagulls, for example. If you know that song you're humming it right now.

God designed us to remember songs. They stick with us for the rest of our lives.

Psalm 22 is one such song. Really catchy. All about the sufferings of the Messiah. You know what the first line of the song is???

"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me..."

On the Cross, Jesus wasn't lamenting his suffering. He wasn't lost. He wasn't suddenly abandoned. He didn't speak that line, he sang that line... a song about himself.

As one article I read so wonderfully stated... think of all of the Sanhedrin standing there, mocking Jesus while the Roman guards threw dice to see who gets Jesus' fancy-shmancy cloak. Then, Jesus sings the first line of the song. And what happens?

Those members of the Sanhedrin, who had probably sung Psalm 22 hundreds of times, suddenly find themselves singing along with him. In their minds, the song continues...

But I am a worm, hardly human, scorned by everyone, despised by the people.

All who see me mock me; they curl their lips and jeer; they shake their heads at me

"You relied on the LORD--let him deliver you; if he loves you, let him rescue you."


And it continues...

They stare at me and gloat; they divide my garments among them; for my clothing they cast lots.

Think of what must have been running through the minds of the Jewish leaders. Singing this Psalm in their heads and realizing it was happening right before their eyes. A song about the sufferings of the Messiah.

But the song doesn't end there, in despair. It continues...

For God has not spurned or disdained the misery of this poor wretch,

Did not turn away from me, but heard me when I cried out.


I will offer praise in the great assembly; my vows I will fulfill before those who fear him.

The poor will eat their fill; those who seek the LORD will offer praise. May your hearts enjoy life forever!"

All the ends of the earth will worship and turn to the LORD; All the families of nations will bow low before you.

For kingship belongs to the LORD, the ruler over the nations.

All who sleep in the earth will bow low before God; All who have gone down into the dust will kneel in homage.

And so on...

So, fellow Christians and ignorant "scholars" remember what a Psalm is... understand the difference between an original thought and quoting from a song.

And lastly, finally recognize that on the Cross, singing that Psalm, Jesus was in his ultimate glory, paying our price for our sins, building a bridge back to God that was broken by Adam... Jesus was suffering, yes, but willingly, not alone, not afraid.

He was offering the greatest sacrifice ever recorded.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to tell you I enjoyed this. Love, Ma

Pete Bauer said...

Thanks, Ma. And I enjoy you :)

Charles Bauer said...

I enjoyed this but I don't enjoy mom.