Thursday, November 03, 2005

The Greatest Generation

It is often been touted that my parents' generation is the greatest. They overcame the depression, they overcame fascism and communism, they sacrificed for freedom and they lived in years of post-war growth and moral clarity.

I look at today's world and realize there will never be a generation like theirs. Not because people are incapable of achieving the same greatness, but that the dispensers of information will not allow it to happen.

If the same media scrutiny and moral relativism was as strong during World War II as it is today, we would be a communist country or part of the Third Reich. We would not have had the stomach to make the tough sacrifices that were required to win that war. You look at the way the Iraq War is being handled... the media pounces on the bad and ignores the good. I had heard that, in all of Iraq, there are only three areas that continue to be problems... that the majority of the nation is secure and peaceful. Do we hear that? No.

If World War II were fought with our media focus now, would our participation in such a war have lasted past D-Day?

I don't think so.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Our country has lost the meaning and value of sacrifice... as a nation and as people. We want it all without much effort. We are lazy and, like stagnant muscles, are weakening with each passing day.

So, I believe my parents were not only part of the greatest generation, but the last generation of greatness in America.

No comments: