Thursday, November 17, 2005

Parents Being Parents

The one thing about being a parent is that you never stop being a parent. And this is something you can't really comprehend until you actually become a parent.

I'm turning 40 soon and my parents are both around 80... yet, my Mom is still my Mom and my Dad is still my Dad and they have the same parental concerns, hopes and dreams for me that they had when I was an infant, a toddler, a teen and an adult. I'm still their youngest child... their "baby" and always will be.

It is one of the beautiful constants in life.

On a recent Saturday morning my kids came into our bedroom and jumped on the bed, squeezing in between me and my wife. My daughter said "I never feel safer than I do right now." And I was immediately brought back to a similar memory with the same feeling. I remember, as a child, getting in between my parents on their bed on Saturday mornings and feeling completely loved and relaxed. I have never felt that sense of safety as I did then.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, as I get older and become more aware of the depth of parenthood and it gives me a greater appreciation for God... as our parent. He too has hopes, dreams and concerns for us. He too wishes we wouldn't make bad choices and He hurts when we must pay the consequences those choices require. He too misses us when we are away. He too longs to spend time with us. And, when we are enveloped by Him, we too are never more safe.

Just today, my mother sent me the following, one sentence email...

"I was just driving back from the hairdresser and thinking of how much I love you. Ma."

After all of these years, a sentence like that is still priceless to me.

And it made me wonder... how many times a day does God think about how much He loves us?

No comments: