Tuesday, January 03, 2006

It's All In The Interpretation

My son got some new Playstation games for Christmas and has spent an inordinate amount of time on the game machine. After some heavy playing time, I told my son that he needed to turn the game off and use his brain in other ways. I said:

"I want you to read a book or something. I don't care what you read, just read something."

Gabe turned off the game and I went into the other room. When I went back to check on him about 15 minutes later I found him sitting next to a stack of all of the Playstation game instructions.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"You said I could read anything, so I'm reading about how to play the games" he replied.

I smiled and said... "that's not what I meant." But it was what I said and he called me on it. At some point all kids are more into the letter of the law over the spirit of the law.

No comments: