Thursday, March 02, 2006

Bouncers in Heaven

I was at mass last night for Ash Wednesday. Funny that Ash Wednesday is one of the non-Sunday masses Catholics go to but it is not a Holy Day of Obligation. There are many other Holy Days throughout the year that Catholics don't go to, but Ash Wednesday, they're there. I'm just glad they attend, to be honest. I just wish they appreciated the value for the true Holy Days on the calendar.

One of my pet peeves is people leaving mass early. Usually people leave after Communion, but before the final blessing... one priest called that act the Judas Kiss, as Judas left the last supper about the same time.

Last night, during the ceremony, there were people who left after the ashes were distributed and before Communion. I found that very funny. Like, Heaven's a nightclub and Peter's a bouncer and if you got your ashes on your forehead you're in... no need to actually attend the entire mass or stay throughout, etc. Ashes, in. No ashes, out.

Please.

So, as I watched these people shuffle out of mass WAY early, I was both peeved and humored. I'm hoping Peter checks our souls, not our foreheads, before allowing us into Heaven.


No comments: