Thursday, April 13, 2006

Goin' Out To Cally - Part 1, The Seed Planted

College has numerous rites of passage between childhood and adulthood. Taking "the road trip" is one of those time honored traditions.

As I neared the end of my senior year of college at the University of Florida in 1988, graduating with a degree in Fine Arts, I dreamed of a long term career in Hollywood. One of my teachers, Doc Shelton, mentioned that a school alum was a producer in California and would probably be open to meeting with me. I said, "Why would he do that?" Shelton mentioned "If I called you and asked you to meet with someone, would you?" I said "of course." "So would he," Shelton replied.


And that was how it started. The seed was planted. I could visit someone working in the biz and check out the world renown film schools.
I needed to get to California, somehow, someway.

My options were pretty limited. I was essentially broke, didn't have a working car and did I mention I also had no money? After much thought and deliberation, there was only one viable option. I called my best friend, Tim, and had a very quick conversation that went something like this... "Tim, you want to take a road trip to California?" He replied "Sure."

And that was it. The trip was on.

Pete & Tim- 1986

The trip benefited both Tim and me. It gave Tim a chance to visit his brother, Paul and his wife Anne, both of whom lived in Los Angeles and worked for the mouse and it gave me a chance to try to get my foot into show business.

I also felt a certain kinship to my older brothers, Stephen and John. When they were about my age our family moved from Massachusetts to Florida. Instead of traveling with us, John and Steve decided to ride bikes from the North to the South. I'll let them share their own journey, but the stories I listened to in my youth about their trip seemed so funny and adventurous and unique and I had hoped my trip to California would offer similar memorable moments.

Tim was engaged to Beth, so she would join us on the road trip and he suggested I invite someone so I wouldn't feel like a third wheel. I had met Beth a couple of times and she seemed nice enough, so adding her to the journey didn't seem much of a worry. And I wasn't overly concerned about being a third wheel, but I did mull over my options, just in case.

But who would I ask?

********

For my father, who's eyesight has been hindered due to Parkinsons Disease, I have made an audio file for him to listen to the story. So, if you want to hear the story, either click on the LINK and listen from your browser or Right Click the LINK and save to your computer for listening whenever you'd like.


1 comment:

Pete Bauer said...

LOL, yeah, I was biking a lot of miles a day back then.