Friday, September 08, 2006

Gabby Wells Poster

Here's a first swag at the Christian kids film called The Adventures of Gabby Wells about a girl who comes into a possession of a watch that can stop time, however, for every second she uses the watch is a second taken from her own life.



I found a picture of the watch on the web, copied it and pasted it into the poster. I t
hen took the watch and selected just the center of the time-piece and swirled it counter-clockwise to reflect the warping of time. I then duplicated that image, blew it up a billion percent to fill the screen, set the opaque to about 10% so it would be very faint and swirled the clock in the clockwise direction, to reflect warping back to normal time. I then checked about a hundred different fonts for the titles and finally settled on the Goudy Stout font. Reworked the phrase at the bottom about twenty times.

Simple, but gets the basic point across right now... especially because I haven't even written it yet :)


2 comments:

c.a.b. said...

It sounds like you are busy, but busy with things that you love. I posted some pictures from the show on my lame blog :) Lame as in, I don't really know how to format anything. I apologize for the poor quality of the photos, and I, unfortunately, don't have any shots of the exterior of the gallery (me, being a genius, didn't charge my camera battery before the show, so my pictures were limited). I think the girls have more pictures, so I'll share those as soon as I get them.

I showed 7 pieces at the show from my Odalisque series. This series utilized Andy Warhol's philosophy that the more you see an image over and over again, the less meaning it has (i.e. his car crash images). I used a grid format to achieve this so that I could repeat the same image, again and again. The images in each piece are female torsos from old master paintings of odalisques. The idea behind this relates to women in society today (especially in the media); the female figure is constantly exposed and it's beauty is becoming lost and transformed into a sex object. The body has become a "thing" with all personality and humanity stripped away. So, that's my story behind it; I usually don't have a huge backstory with my pieces, but this series came on pretty heavy with social commentary as I was working on them.

Anyways, they are mainly composed of contour lines, so each person probably sees something totally different than torsos :)

The gallery, Block 27, was something Kelly, Brittni, and I "created". Kelly's parents own an antique store downtown and behind the store is an extra space that used to house antique furniture. Kelly's parents decided to let her have an art show there; so the space was transformed from old furniture with maroon walls and a dusty chandelier to a clean, white-walled, track-lit gallery space. I am so thankful that Kelly asked me to be in the show with her and 3 others. It was a great learning experience, from prepping the space to advertising the show to entertainment, etc.

Enough blabbing. Check out the photos :)

Pete Bauer said...

What a great idea. My wife and I always marvel at how we've set women in our society to fail by idolizing impossible examples. In the "old" days (i.e., before my time), a beautiful woman was respected because they had to come that way naturally. No surgery, no "fixing" what God made. In Hollywood, a Sophia Loren or Audrey Hepburn were truly admired for being unique and naturally beautiful. It was special.

True, some also considered them "sex objects" but not nearly to the extent that the humanity has been removed from women today.

I find it amazing, forty years after the pro-feminist 60's that female "empowerment" has somehow got us to here. Weird.

Thanks for sharing the photos. And a great idea for making your own opportunity! That's great stuff.