Saturday, September 16, 2006

New York, 1988

I got some new frames for my desk area at home and was scrounging through my old photos to see which ones I wanted to put in them. I came across some of my favorite pics.

As we neared the end of our college life I, along with a lot of my fellow theater graduates-to-be, headed up to New York to audition for graduate school theater programs. One very cold, cold, bitterly cold February day, we dumb Floridians decided to walk from downtown to the Statue of Liberty. Chris Linn, Clark Canine, Jodi and I made the long trek through the below zero temperature.

Chris "knocking over" a fire hydrant...
Broadway Bound was playing at the theate in the background.

It was so cold it burned, but we continued on. When we arrived at the ferry to Liberty Island, we bought some hot pretzels that quickly turned ice cold. We were also kicked out of a visitor's center after we were done visiting and just trying to keep warm.

We eventually took a ferry over to the Statue of Liberty island. On the way out I had my best friend, Chris, take my picture on the back of the boat with the NY skyline in the distance. Who would have thought that those twin towers would come down so tragically thirteen years later.


When we got onto the island, the trees were barren, the wind was unrelenting. Both the island and the Statue were much smaller than I expected. When we got off the ferry dock the Statue was the only thing on the island, yet there was a sign pointing us in the right direction.


One of my favorite pictures of all time is the one of Chris and I "looking" for the Statue of Liberty. Chris was one of my best friends in college. He was one of the few theater students who shared my passion for film.

Years later Chris would get me a job at Nickelodeon Studios. He now lives in New York and has moved his way up the Viacom food chain, now presiding over MTV as Vice-President.

It's amazing how many years have passed since our first trip to NY... and how much has changed.


4 comments:

Paul said...

February in New York, a road trip to California during one of the hottest summers ever.... Never become a travel agent.

c.a.b. said...

Hahaha. As much as it pains me to do so, I have to agree with Uncle Paul. How did the auditions go?

Pete Bauer said...

I didn't schedule the auditions in Feb in NY, you know. :)

The auditions went fine. Two graduate programs, one at SMU and the other in Illinois, wanted me to go, but I quickly realized I didn't want to go to school anymore, so I just graduated and became the unknown actor you know today!

Paul said...

Had you gone to graduate school, you would have become an unknown actor with a masters degree. I should know, I took that road less travelled.

Signed,
The Unknown Chemist, Ph.D.