Friday, February 23, 2007

Vatican I Daily Missal

My father-in-law gave me a daily missal made in 1959, pre-Vatican II. As part of my Lenten prayer, I have been reading this missal everyday and I must say the differences between this Mass and the Mass I attend now are quite striking.

First and simply, the vocabulary used in the older missal is of a much higher education standard that what is used today. I guess it just goes to show you that if you lower our standards, we'll make sure and meet the challenge.

Secondly, the wording of the Mass was much more humble, much more focused on our unworthiness and imperfections and, contrastly, just how wonderful and perfect is our God. I prefer this approach not because of the focus on our sinfulness, which is plentiful... I mean, just watch the news... but because of its elevation of God as an Almighty Creator. As a perfect being who has a great plan for each of us if we just had the courage to attempt to attain it.

But, todays modern take on God is He's my friend, my buddy and when things get really bad, He's my Santa Claus who will give me what I want just because I ask for it.

The Feel Good Theology.

The Feel Good Theology does two things... it undermines the importance of God's expectation of our sacrifice and participation in His plan by turning the focus, instead, on our personal relationship with Him. I'm not saying a personal relationship with God is unimportant, but let's put it in perspective... He's God. We're imperfect, faulty and often ungrateful humans. Akin to an Angel hovering over a pile of pond scum. It's a BIG step down for God to reach our level, so let's appreciate that.

Secondly, it makes us lazy. It makes us expect life to by happy instead of it being spiritually fulfilling, when, often times, those two paths may not necessarily meet.

Overall, the true glory and awesomeness of God is lacking in our approach to our faith today, so I am thoroughly enjoying my trip down a pre-Vatican II daily missal, back when God sat rightfully on a pedestal and our job was to try to reach His perfection, not for Him to lower himself to our imperfection just so we can feel good about ourselves.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny you're being impressed with a pre Vatican II missal, because when we first started home schooling, I read a 2nd grade book on the Mass, written prior to Vatican II and I remember thinking, I've learned more from this child's book written 50 years ago than I ever learned all my life in Catholic school and CCD!

Sad that we don't expect more from today's Catholics, but then again, people always rise (or fall) to your expectations, don't they?

Mary K Smith said...

Peter, why don't you give us an example of pre-post

Cricket said...

Interesting observations Pete. I prefer to think of God as my King, my Lord as in "You are all loving and good and I am not worthy to be in Your presence." But too, I know He wants me in His presence, He desires that for me. I shall be eternally grateful should I arrive at such an honored spot. He is awesome and I would love to praise His name for all eternity...and that wouldn't be long enough!