Sunday, February 25, 2007

Vatican I Missal - Examples

My sister Mary asked for some examples of the language and reverence of which I was speaking of in my previous post about my Vatican I Missal.

Here are a few examples...

*********************

Let not the partaking of Your Body, O Lord Jesus Christ, which I, though unworthy, presume to receive, turn to my judgement and condemnation; but through Your goodness, may it become a safeguard and an effective remedy, both of soul and body. Who live and reign with God, the Father, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, world without end. Amen.

Or

Accept, O Lord, the sacrifice by the immolation of which You have deigned to be appeased, and grant, we beseech You, that we may be cleansed through its virtue, and my offer You the acceptable affection of our love. Through our Lord.

Or

O Lord, we beseech You, grant that the sacrifice of our Lenten observance which we offer may both render our souls pleasing to You and give us the power of more ready continence. Through our Lord.

*********************

These examples show, first, vocabulary and sentence structure that is of higher education, using words most people wouldn't even know today because they are not expected to, and second, they are full of both humility and sincere appreciation for the separation between man and God... in my opinion.

Plus, the missal is full of great pictures which bring the Word of God to life and give us, as a community, a common visual reference to what we are hearing. I wish they would add pictures back into our missal today. I think it would add greatly to the Mass experience.


No comments: