Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Are Gays Allowed to be Christian in America Anymore?

Let me start this by making some things very clear... I am not a theologian or a social expert or overly wise nor overly educated. I speak for no one but myself. I do not intend to offend anyone. I'm simply looking for answers to very complex questions.

Consider this an open internal discussion with myself, so this may take a while. Be patient with me.

Now, to start I'm speaking socially, not religiously... as the social landscape of our country continues to polarize, I've seen a growing separation of a segment of society from Christianity. That segment? Gay Americans.

I'm not sure if it's the gay rights movement distancing themselves from Christianity because of the Bible's take on homosexual behavior or the Christians distancing themselves from homosexuals because of the current political climate and issues such as gay marriage, hate crime legislation, etc. Either way it seems as if American Gays can't be Christian anymore.

And as a Christian, that bothers me.

Christianity, by definition and faith, must accept homosexuals as fellow members of the body of Christ. We are called, as with everyone else on the planet and no matter what their sexual orientation, to embrace the sinner without embracing the sin.

My concern is that if we, socially, are partially responsible for gay Americans feeling as if Christianity has no place for them, then we may also be responsible, morally before God, for the ripple effect on their souls as well.

Equally, Christianity is not a buffet where you can pick and choose what you will and will not follow. You either believe the Bible or you don't. It is either the Word of God or it is not. You either believe Jesus was the Messiah or you don't.

So, then, what are the options for gays who were raised and want to continue to be Christian in today's America?

That's a tough question. I'm not gay, so I cannot speak from personal experience, but I have many friends who are gay and we've talked about homosexuality, faith and personal choices over the years.

But, if I were gay, what would I do with Leviticus 18:22 saying "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; such a thing is an abomination."

All of my gay friends express the belief that they were "born gay." Some people would argue the validity to that, but lets say, for the sake of discussion, that people are "born gay."

So, the question I would be asking myself if I were gay is why would God create someone predisposed to abomination? Since I have some very dear friends of mine that are gay, that question has bothered me for a very long time and after a lot of thought and prayer, this is what I've come up with so far...

First, let me say that being born with any predisposition does not remove one from moral consequence.

Not to equate, but merely for an example, my oldest brother, who has since passed on, was born with an inability to feel guilt. He did what he wanted and could not grasp the effect of his actions on others, so he would use people. Psychologist were clear with my parents that he didn't have anything in his makeup that would teach him empathy. He was "born unempathetic." But, just because he was born without empathy does not relinquish him from his moral responsibility and the sins he committed when he was just "being himself."

If people are truly born gay and Leviticus is also in accordance with God, then God must have an option, a plan, a goal for homosexuals that is in keeping with His Word. There must be a path for them to salvation. Could it be a gift in some way?

Could it be the greatest of opportunities to sacrifice one's very being to God? Of course, sexuality is not the totality of one's identity, but it is a very important aspect of who we are. Is God offering homosexuals the same opportunity for grace as would someone who joins the religious life and who similarly offers up their sexuality?

I don't know. But, it's the only thing that makes sense to me, if people are truly born gay. Perhaps God is offering them a great, albeit difficult, opportunity for greatness in faith by sacrificing an important part of their life for Him. We are all called, as participants in the Body of Christ, to take up our own crosses and follow Him. Is this the cross being offered homosexuals?

For example, cannot someone born predisposed to cancer praise God by offering up their cancer to Him and, through their sacrifice, show the rest of us an example of true, strong faith? Cannot someone born with a chronic illness, such as Crohns disease, praise God through how they handle the sacrifices required for the rest of their life due to the disease? Does not a nun or priest publicly display their faith by their chastity?

The other option is that no one is born gay and some other series of circumstances are somehow responsible. From what I can gather, science is not clear on this issue one way or another. The nature vs. nurture argument has been going on for a very long time, sexual orientation included.

As for my faith, Catholicism, it is very clear on sexuality. It does not subscribe to the "born gay" theory, but it is also very clear that homosexuals should be welcomed into the faith.

Homosexuals must "be accepted with respect, compassion and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition" or orientation.

According to my faith, homosexuals are "called to chastity" and through friendship, prayer and sacramental grace can "gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection."

Those are pretty powerful words and they apply to all of us in one way or another. We are called to be Christ-like, to reach for Christian perfection. Our "chastity" may not be sexual, it could be material or physical or mental or spiritual, but the calling is the same.

So, where does that leave me? Well, concerned for the souls of our country.

I don't like our country right now. Thoughtful, considerate discussion about important moral subjects has reverted to knee-jerk extremist banter with an immediate condemnation and intolerance of anyone not tolerant of their own beliefs. People are immediately put into offensively narrow buckets, such as "extreme liberal secularists" or "far right-wing Christians", and such labeling only solidifies our opposition and division, instead of finding common ground with which to discuss the subject further.

We, as a country, are better than that. We, as Christians, are called to be better than that.

Whether you are Catholic or Protestant or Jewish, your faith is a combination of beliefs to which you either wholly subscribe or you don't. You can't be 80% Catholic or 92% Protestant. We should all be well versed in our faith and decide whether we can live up to all of it's belief elements and expectations. So, I can't change nor do I want my faith to change and I can't change the Bible. Christianity and its foundation is what it is. But that doesn't mean we can't discuss homosexuality intelligently, compassionately and civilly. And it certainly doesn't mean that anyone, including homosexuals, are excluded from Christ's salvation.

The end result of it is that if any Christian chooses not to lead a fully Christian life, including sexually, than that is on each of our own individual souls.

However, we as Christians have to do a better job of being Christ-like when it comes to homosexuality in America today. And homosexuals should be equally open to the discussion of Christ's salvation in their lives.

As stated before, we should embrace the sinner without embracing the sins. That's the essence of being a Christian.

Don't we all expect the same from our Savior when it comes to our own sins?

Those are my thoughts at the moment. As you can see, I don't have answers. I am not speaking for anyone else but me. I'm just trying to figure this subject out in my own head. I will continue to read and pray and work to understand more about this complex and sensitive issue. I hope God will enlighten me further.



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Read The Theology of the Body. This will answer these questions.

Anonymous said...

From Loretta:

Excerpt from 'The Theology of the Body'

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

Pete Bauer said...

I quote most of that in my blog.

But additionally it still doesn't address the overall lack of communication about sexuality and faith today.

Anonymous said...

Whether they're gay or not is irrelevant to you with regards to how you treat them.

Their sexual preference is a choice that they will have to reconcile with God, not you.

As a Christian, you accept them just as you would any person, straight, gay, rich, poor, whatever.

Anonymous said...

"For the wife does not rule over her own body, but the husband does..."
..........1 Corinthians 7:4


"As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from the nations that are round about you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their families that are with you, who have been born in your land; and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you, to inherit as a possession forever; you may make slaves of them, but over your brethren the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another, with harshness."
..........Leviticus 25:44

It is fun to cherry pick bible quotes for direction on moral authority. Obviously when divine inspiration touched these humble souls in writing the bible, the moral evolution of human society was laid bare before them.

George said...

Pete, you put forth a lot of very good thoughts and look at all sides. Thank you for taking the time to do that. I'm sure it wasn't easy.

You mention in your writing, "I'm not sure it the gay rights movement distancing themselves from Christianity because of the Bible's take on homosexual behavior or Christians distancing themselves from homosexuals because of the current political climate.." I can't speak for a "movement," but for myself.

Webster's defines Christian as, "of, pertaining to, or derived from Jesus Christ or His teachings." Imagine the confusion when Christians are telling you you are evil, going to hell, and you have no rights. I am rusty in my Bible knowledge, but I don't remember one instance when Jesus pointed to someone with the same words or phrases. So are these Christians really being Christ-like? To me it appears not to be the case, but instead hypocritical. So why would any sane person want to socialize with any group that acts in such a way? I choose to live my life they way I was brought up by my parents: treat everyone the way you would want to be treated or better. Times change and I think over time humans will move towards a more accepting society towards gays. At least I hope so. Look at the steps taken over the past few decades.

Pete thanks again for sharing your views and the struggle you face with those views. Thank you for keeping an open mind. It was very decent and respectable of you to do so.

Decent?

Respectable?

Both definitions for being Christian ... according to Webster. And me!

---George Higby

Pete Bauer said...

I appreciate that, George.

My faith journey will take a lifetime and, as I go, I'll try to digest it all and figure out how the daily world around me fits into it.

Decent AND Respectable? I don't know if I'd go that far :)

Pete

Anonymous said...

Define the term "gay". What do you really mean by that? Specifically you are talking sexuality. The quote used in your blog "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; such a thing is an abomination"
is pointing directly at sex.

The bible doesn't state that a male preferring the company of another male is an abomination. The preference of who you "hang out" with is not the abomination. Specifically the act of sex man-man is the abomination. If you preferred spending time with a male versus a female, I don't think that necessarily means you are gay.

I can appreciate what someone wrote above about turning away from groups of people who alienate you or come down on you BUT the bible clearly states that a sexual act male-male is an abomination. God isn't liking these acts. Now, do we treat the people as lepers? I don't think so, I think as Christians we are called to love everyone. However, if we are preaching the gospel and trying to save others, isn't it part of our responsibility to point out when people are doing wrong?

Remember, the wrong is not what you and I think is wrong. The wrong is coming straight from the bible.

Pete Bauer said...

I never intended "hanging out" to be included in the discussion, I was speaking sexually.

I made it clear that I did not want my faith or others to bend the gospel to fit social changes because, as Christians we have to believe that the Bible is a book of Truth, no matter what society reads it.

And, again, my overall gist of my open internal discussion is "we as Christians have to do a better job of being Christ-like when it comes to homosexuality in America today. And homosexuals should be equally open to the discussion of Christ's salvation in their lives."

That means we, as Christians, must be more loving and Christian homosexuals should seek out within their faith to understand how Christ's salvation works in their lives.

I appreciate everyone's input so far. It has been respectful and thoughtful and without malice on either side. Thanks.