Friday, October 19, 2007

Cally on the Family Book Tour

I got a funny call from my brother Paul a few nights ago. It appears one of the few copies of the Goin' Out to Cally book I created from the blog entries on this website have been making the rounds through his wife's family. I only had a few printed, giving one to my Mom for her 80th birthday, one to Tim, my travel partner to Cally, and one to Paul, upon his request. The rest are for me and my kids.

Anyway, Paul let Joan, his mother-in-law, read his copy. Apparently, she thought it was very funny and gave it to one of her daughters, Mary Jo. Mary Jo read it, liked it and gave it to her sister Pat. Pat read it, liked it and gave it to Mary Jo's daughter, Amy.

I find it amusing that it's making the rounds in their family. The next time I see them they'll either think I'm very important or more of a freak than they originally suspected.

I'm guessing the latter more so than the former.

Only time will tell...

Now, if I could only get my brother's John and Stephen to get their bike trip from New York to Florida on paper.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's interesting, Pete. I'm happy they enjoyed it. I enjoyed it when I read it, but haven't passed it on to anyone, yet. Looking forward to seeing all of you at the wedding. Seems we won't be in St. Pete as long as I thought. C&B won't be leaving until Mon. or Tues of the week before the wedding. We will be leaving at the same time, following them.

Paul said...

Well Odd Child, I must tell you I think your book is very funny. My daughters and I have laughed over quite a few of the specifics of your trip. In fact, my daughter, Pat, commented, "Oh yea, I had one of those trips one time. It only gets funny years later." But, my hat is off to you and your talent and your honesty. We especially liked the swimming pool story complete with picture. For an odd child, you did quite well.

God bless

Joan Dirrigl, Paul's mother-in-law

Cricket said...

I notice that only women are reading your book. Hmmmm. Is it because you are good or your real 'self' is coming through? BTW, the trip from NY to FL is on paper. Postcards written by us on our trip down and sent to Dad at his FL office address. Maybe John and I should get together and discuss documenting our trip. It wouldn't be a day by day description as our memories are not that good anymore! Love ya - Steve

Pete Bauer said...

Paul - Tell Joan I appreciate her kind words for an Odd Child.

Steve - I thought that Cally had evaporated into the ether as well, but I spent some time really focusing on it and I was amazed how much I was able to recall. It's all still up there. You just have to jog you memory. Tim said my version is 95% accurate from his version so the process worked.

Pete Bauer said...

And Ma - don't give your book to anyone. That was your 80th birthday present... I was inspired to covert the blog into a book just for your birthday present.