Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A Talent for Salvation

I've been thinking a lot about my salvation lately. In our Renew group we were talking about how God has set the bar so high (Jesus, i.e., moral perfection) and yet He forgives our struggles through His infinite mercy.

At the same time I've been thinking about St. Paul's comments that we are all part of the One Body of Christ and that we each bring a different talent to the moral table. For me, I believe that talent is writing/filmmaking.

And I've been thinking if these two things are inextricably connected... I can't help but think that if God has given us all unique talents, then we must use those unique talents to praise Him, doing our part as the One Body. And that, our salvation is somehow tied to whether we are using those talents correctly, to full effect, to praise our Creator.

And I am then concerned, if salvation and our unique God-given talents are connected, that I am not using my talents to full effect in honor of Him. And if I were to die today, I wonder if God would ask me... "what the hec were you waiting for?"

And I wonder if use of my God-given talents so far would secure my salvation... or damnation.

And then I think that designers of rollercoaster rides are not going to Hell for not making holy roller coasters and can't a movie just be entertaining without having moral weight?

And then I think that thousands of other people are making stories without moral weight and that I should do something more, somehow making moral stories entertaining stories.

And then I wonder if I have the talent for telling that type of story. And if I don't, then is it tied to my salvation or not?

...you can tell I haven't quite figured this out yet. But I'll keep trying.

1 comment:

Pete Bauer said...

Yes, family does come first, or else I wouldn't have the job I have right now... I wouldn't have left Orlando which led me here. When I discuss my internal struggles, I never mean to suggest that it is at the detriment of my family, but more a fulfillment of my moral responsibility, that includes my family.

But, finding that happy medium and feeling that you're doing your moral job along with your worldly job is a tough one.