Monday, November 21, 2005

Are We The Sheep or The Goat?

In this Sunday's Gospel reading, it was from Matthew (25, 31-46) where Jesus gives the parable of the return of the Son of Man. He states that we will be separated like sheep and goats. The sheep are the ones who treated others well and the goats were those who did not.

Specifically, he states that the sheep, the righteous did the following...
"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me"
And that the goats, the accursed, did not do these acts. He finishes with the often quoted phrase:
'Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.'
What struck me upon listening this Sunday was that, during his passion, Jesus was all of these things... hungry, thirsty, a stranger, naked, ill and in prison.

It's just another example about how he extends his impending and eternal personal sacrifice to encompass all of those who, on some level, are facing their own challenges and suffering. What better way to fully understand, whenever we are faced with our own problems, that no matter how difficult, Jesus understands that sacrifice that we are to endure.

Just some food for thought...

No comments: