Sunday, April 30, 2006

Spark Of Caution

Last night, I sat in my movie room multi-tasking... I was watching the Lightning get bumped from the playoffs by the Senators, I watched the DRays blow a save and lose to the Red Sox while on the phone with work about a server issue. While juggling these three things I noticed sparks suddenly fly out of the ceiling fan above me.

I turned off the power and, with the help of my wife, took down the fan. It appears that the vibration of the fan caused a small back and forth motion that wore down a wire shielding, eventually exposing that wire to metal, thereby causing the sparks.

My only thought as I drifted off the sleep was "Thank God I was awake." If the sparks had started to fly after we were all asleep, there's a good chance our home would be little more than smoldering remains.

A special nod to our guardian angels for coming through.


3 comments:

Pete Bauer said...

Sorry, Ma, I should have asked for your permission. Charles definitely takes after you.

Cricket said...

Praise God that you were there. It means your fan was not balanced. There are ways to fix it. Ask John.

Pete Bauer said...

I tried for hours to balance the damn thing and gave up, thinking that a little movement wouldn't hurt anything. Boy was I wrong.