Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Stryper - Reborn

I was walking through Best Buy last night and a new Stryper CD, called Reborn, caught my eye. Stryper was a rock band that came out in the mid-80's that brought Christ to the heavy metal scene. They were the first Christian band to cross over to mainstream success. They were heavily criticized for being both Christian and heavy metal, but who more needed the word of Christ than heavy metal fans. The name Stryper comes from Isaiah 53:5, "by his stripes, we are healed" referring that through the wounds of Christ we are healed of our sins. They wore yellow and black outfits, had big hair and tossed out bibles to the crowd during their concerts. Their albums Soldiers Under Command, To Hell With The Devil and In God We Trust sold millions of copies and a couple of Top 40 hits.

In spite of all of the theatrics, best of all Stryper were excellent musicians. It had been 15 years since their last release and I was curious how the latest CD would sound. To my great satisfaction, Reborn is an excellent album. Reborn is more rock than heavy metal and all of their songs are either God speaking to us or us praying to God. The songs are catchy and full of spirit. If you're a Stryper fan, then I strongly recommend getting a copy of Reborn. It is receiving great reviews and is worth a listen.

4 comments:

Paul said...

Were they the group that sang the song "More than Words"? I remember Charles telling me that when the twins were little they would sing the song, but instead of singing the title verse they would sing "More than birds!".

Pete Bauer said...

That was Extreme.

Paul said...

I don't think it was extreme. I think it was fairly moderate question.

david c welker said...

strype brings me back to my hs days, i will have to check out there new release.