Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Back To The Future (1985)

The foundation of any great movie is a great script. There are some scripts that are so solid, so tight, so perfect in execution that they are worthy of recognition apart the film itself. Some such scripts that immediately come to mind include Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Chinatown, The Matrix, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Back to the Future.

Last night I watched Back to the Future for the first time in many years and was amazed at how wonderfully full and vibrant and completely intertwined the story unfolded. Every scene has a goal and an obstacle that effectively builds upon itself to a wonderfully satisfying climax. Every line has meaning and subtext and foreshadowing and history. And, for a time travel film, the logic of the time travel and its effects are completely logical and believable.

On top of all of that, the story is a wonderful m
ix of genres. Back to the Future is a science fiction, teen comedy, coming-of-age, action, melodrama. Effectively satisfying any one of those genres is an accomplishment in and of itself, but with Future, the unique combination of all of these genres makes the sum greater than its parts.

The casting of Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Crispin Glover and Thomas F. Wilson are perfect. As a matter of fact, Wilson, as Biff, is so perfect in capturing the role that he has been typecast ever since.

This film is a real joy to watch, even though some of the topical humor is somewhat dated. As you watch the film, take a moment to enjoy the incredible writing for which the film was built upon. It is a rare piece of screenwriting.

2 comments:

Pete Bauer said...

I don't have your email, but I emailed KT.

BTW - Galaxy Quest is a classic! One of my favs of all time.

Cricket said...

Funny story about this movie and just a side bar regarding human behavior. After BTTF came out I was talking to your brother Charles about it. I hadn't seen it yet and he was absolutely nuts over the film. He just kept mentioning it and have great it was and how the story was really cool and on and on and on. He kept telling me, "Steve, you've got to see this movie."
He was so obsessive about the movie that it turned me off. Really. I got so tired of hearing about it my feelings turned to disliking the movie without seeing it! So I decided to NOT see it. I swear it was almost 10 years after it came out that I watched it. I thought, "Wow what a great movie." Even 10 years later! :)