Thursday, May 11, 2006

Mission: Impossible III

I'm ahead of my time. Truly. Its a curse. For a script I've written called Mute, I wrote an opening that is almost identical to the opening of Mission: Impossible III. It's disconcerting, but I'm used to it by now.

Years ago I wrote a seven part movie serial called The Demon Files, about a man and woman investigating seemingly unrelated deaths that are tied together by supernatural even
ts. I had finished the script and was having my TV industry friends read it only to see a new show coming on Fox, called The X Files. My effort, The Demon Files, was eerily similar to the pilot of The X Files, which was about a man and woman investigating seemingly unrelated deaths tied together by extraterrestrial events. In high school I co-wrote a time travel story called Lonely Time which has a lot in common with a film called The Terminator. I thought teens needed a Christian TV channel. I thought of calling mine Sonlight TV. Another company recently kicked off JCTV for Christian teens.

Oh well. I apparently have the ideas, just not the resources to implement them.

Other than the dismay I felt at the onset of the film, MI3 is a very good action flick. The villain, Philip Seymour Hoffman, is excellent as the ruthless and heartless Owen Davian. Tom Cruise continues his portrayal of Ethan Hunt, top agent of the IMF, whose wife, played by Michelle Monaghan, is held hostage by Davian. Davian forces Hunt to find a weapon called The Rabbit's Foot or else his wife will die.

Cruise's odd antics as of late have turned off a lot of fans. That's understandable, as you want your actors to be the "everyman" so that you can put yourselves in their shoes. Cruise's behavior puts a barrier between you and his characters, thereby lessening the impact of the film.

This is the first film I have seen at the theater in months. Having spent almost a year designing and building my own little home theater in my house, I am very content waiting for films to come out on DVD, rent them, then project them onto my 106" screen in the privacy of my own home. Some movies, though, are worth the added expense of going to the movies. Action movies, primarily, that fill the large movies screens better than the one located in my house and will get me to the theater.

But, as I sat down with about 100 couples scattered throughout the theater, I was quickly reminded why I do not like going to movies. To our right a couple talked amongst themselves the entire time. I "sshh'd" them, but they just laughed at me. So, I got up and went to the other side of the theater only to find that, about five rows behind me, another couple was talking to themselves the entire time. It was the most frustrating thing and is another reason why I'll just wait until the DVDs come out so I can watch it in the comfort and silence of my small, intimate home theater.

If you want a high quality action flick with a great villain and amazing stunts, Mission: Impossible III fits the bill quite nicely.


3 comments:

c.a.b. said...

I saw Mission:Impossible III the night before it came out. There was a 10pm showing that, apparently, no one really knew about because the theatre was virutally empty. It was great because I was able to bypass all the morons who actually converse during a movie. Like you, there are few movies that I see in the theatre anymore because of rude people, not to mention the price.

About Cruise's effectiveness, I agree with you. His actions have really tainted how he is viewed on the big screen. The news reported the other day that this film has made millions less than Mission Impos. II which reaffirms how delicate the balance is between your image and sales in Hollywood.

About those people who were talking: Why didn't you just whip out some duct tape and wrap it around the back of their heads and over their mouths? You could have claimed to be an undercover IMF agent and the tape was part of the viewing experience. Heck, bind their hands and blindfold them too :)

Pete Bauer said...

LOL - I was going to ask them if the movie was interferring with their conversation, but it wasn't worth the effort.

I did, at one film, ask a chatty couple if they paid more for their ticket than I did. They shut up after that.

Too bad about Cruise, really. I love him as an actor. And, besides his recent bent, I've always appreciated the respect and professionalism he's shown his fans and the media.

As you said, it is a delicate balance. Actors should stay out of politics and religion. They should try to remain as much of a blank slate for the audience as possible.

Cricket said...

Pride. Egos. Self love. Original sin. It all gets in the way.