Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Little League - Games Continue, So Does Losing

The Cards finished up a three game tournament this past weekend, finishing 0-3. As a matter of fact, we were the only Safety Harbor team to go winless in the tournament. We could have won two of the games, but found ways not to do it. That's been our season.

This is the first season where I've seen a large portion of a team simply choose not to improve over the course of a season. It's not for lack of coaching or practice... they simply don't care enough to make the extra effort or to think ahead.

Frustrating for the few players who care and who are competitive.

Gabe's pitching went well and his hitting is finally coming around. The last game, from the left side he hit a line drive over the center fielder's head and got a single. The next at bat, on the right side, he hit the ball so hard we thought it was going to be his first home run, but it was caught at the fence by the center fielder. So there were some positives.

Gabe hates losing... really hates it. So, he's been really challenged being on a team with kids who don't share his drive. That's Little League, though. It's supposed to be more about fun than it is about winning.

So, we talk about it, saying the Lord is challenging him to lead by example through the tough times. By not giving up. By working hard. By staying positive.

And I shared my experiences with him... when I was in a kid I was on a Little League team that went winless one year. Right after that I played football and was on a team that went winless.

I remember asking my Mom why God won't let me win? She said, "Perhaps the Lord is preparing you for something later on in life."

And she was right. Not settling, not giving up... that's a strong part of who I am. It's what allowed me to handle the numerous rejections actors get in their careers. And what continues to drive me today.

So, it's tough for my son right now, but it doesn't mean the struggle will go to waste. I wonder what fruits this time in his life will bear years down the road.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Hang in there, Gabe. It's a good thing you don't like losing. The only good loser IS A LOSER. Keep leading and doing your job and things will work out.

Love ya buddy,

Rob

Anonymous said...

Gabe, we only see what happens today. If we could see the whole picture, into our future, we would realize why these challenges come into our lives. I remember being at the Mall watching this little kid running back and forth, making motions I couldn't understand. I asked his dad what he was doing. He said, " He's playing baseball. He pitches, runs back and hits the ball, runs the bases, or throws from the outfield. etc." Even then, you loved baseball. Before I was told what you were doing, I thought there was something wrong with you. Now I understand...you were in training, even at 2 or 3.