Saturday, July 05, 2008

DV Cam Deconstruct

Growing up, my brother Paul was always the wiz kid, the smart one, the one who liked to learn about things by taking them apart. I always thought that was cool, to take something apart to see how it was put together.

So, when my nephew Stephen apparently pulled my DV Camera onto the kitchen floor and making it unable to function correctly, instead of bemoaning the replacement cost, I instead remembered my brother Paul's childhood excursions into taking things apart.

DC and I start the surgery.

Plus, there was a video tape in there from Gabe's All-Stars that I couldn't get out, since the camera would not eject the tape any longer.

DC went out to the garage and pulled out the smallest set of screw drivers she could find, handed down to us from my father-in-law, and started unscrewing the Sony DVCam one itty-bitty screw at a time.

The eventual goal of our dissection.

Do you know how many screws hold together a Sony DVCam? A billion.

Okay, a little under a billion. But, it's about a billion. If you don't believe me, take your own camera apart.

So close, yet so far.

After about 90 minutes of finding, dissecting, unscrewing, pulling apart and bending things that weren't meant to be bent, we finally dislodged the tape from it's once comfortable home.

All Star memories, safe at last.

DC and I learned a lot from the experience, about how the camera is put together, how many small computer components make up a video camera... oh, and how to count to a billion.

The smoldering remains.

Plus, using the leftovers from the flip-out LCD screen, DC made her own, unique, compact mirror using the reflective backside to the original screen.

DC's homemade compact mirror. For a movie
buff, it seems quiet appropriate.

She's so inventive.

Just like my brother Paul.

9 comments:

Ketlevin said...

That's so neat, but messy. Now what do you do with the parts, toss them? Don't give Paul all the credit about taking things apart. My mother had a typewriter, that wasn't working too well, so my cousin Rusty and I decided to take it apart and fix it. We fixed it so well, it never worked again. Oh well, live and learn. No more adventurous completely destroying things. That thing sat in the closet for years until they moved, I guess. I saw Paul and family today at Steve and Theresa's. He doesn't look too smart.

Kristin said...

I think Paul looks like a genius!!!!!!!!! :D

Cricket said...

Paul's not a genius! I saw Jean moving his mouth!

Charles Bauer said...

Mom, you took apart your mothers type writer? And you yelled at us for taking apart a flash light....which you have to do to change the batteries....seems you were a little unfair to us.

Paul is smart...but I think he's bluffing most of the time.

Paul said...

@Charles: You are correct... talk with confidence and people believe you.

@Pete and DC: Impressive... most impressive. Did you ever figure out where it was broken? (not that you would have had the parts to fix it...)

Pete Bauer said...

No. When Stephen pulled it off the table and onto the hard kitchen floor, apparently it dislodged an item tied to the power supply. Whenever you turned it on, powered by outlet or battery, it would give an error that stated the power supply needed to be reattached.

I checked online and it is a common, bad error with these cameras. A very few people have been able to remove battery, power off, power back on and it worked. Most, like me, never got it to work again.

Comes at a very bad time because I was going to use the camera to shoot important behind-the-scenes footage for Purgatory, USA. And I don't have the $300 it would take to replace it.

I'll tag Stephen for the cost when he starts earning allowance.

Ketlevin said...

Steve, that is so funny. I didn't realize that's what Jean was doing. I thought she was teaching him how to chew.

Elizabeth said...

I don't think Uncle Paul's smart.
He thinks he's smart cause he's "Dr. Paul Bauer" Don't be fooled. :P
One time he told me if I look and act like I know everything, people would bow down and worship me. That's never happened to me. :P Jk.

~Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Paul is very smart. He married a teacher so she can keep teaching him.