Friday, July 18, 2008

Fun at the Beach

I haven't taken my shirt off in public since 1995... the year I had my first intestinal surgery.

1) No one wants to see a foot long scar down my stomach. Ask my wife.
2) To quote my brother Paul, my German/Irish skin is now so white it reflects pure light.

I always tell people that, being both Irish and German means I like to get drunk and then try to take over the world. Okay, that's not true, I don't get drunk... the taking over the world part... well, I'm working on it.

So, to spare the world and especially my extended family the retinal damage that would be inflicted by appearing shirtless in any form of natural light, I stayed away from the beach when my wife and kids went out there to visit her sister's family. To be honest, I had to go to the office so it worked out best for everyone.

Gabe body surfing.

Little Noah at the beach.

Rachel, Sarah Jo and Gabe.

Kelsey and DC

I think the next time I get a tan will be when I own a private island and there are no satellites or air craft directly overhead that could be impacted from my ultra-bright skin tone reflection. Until then, you'll be stuck seeing pics of my family.

And you'll be grateful. Trust me.

3 comments:

Ramsey Days said...

It's so funny to me that you live so close to the beach, but hardly go!

Anonymous said...

I think it's a Bauer brother thing. My Dad hates the being at the beach but just wants to look at it from afar. "If it weren't for the sun, surf and sand, it'd be pretty enjoyable." -JB

Cricket said...

It would be interesting to see what you look like under a black light!!! Not!

After getting skin cancer I've shied away from the sun.