Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Genetics - God's Sense of Humor

Why do I look more and more like my father every day? Because God has a sense of humor.

Why do my brothers and I laugh alike? Because God thinks its funny.

Being the last of eight kids, why do I always remind people of an older sibling and, thereby, have no identity of my own?

Because God knows gene pools do not have a deep ends.

And so it is. Besides marriage, I believe genetics give God a more consistent form of entertainment than anything else.

Case and point... the Koehlers.

If it weren't mean to be funny, why does my niece Kelsey look more like wife's daughter than our own daughter?

Three generations... Poppy,
Kelsey (Dawn's daughter) and Dea.

And why does my daughter look more like my sister-in-law Dawn's daughter than my daughter?

Dawn and our daughter, Dorothea.

And why does Dawn's three children look like they come from vastly different roots in the same family tree? Cause God's a kidder.

Dawn's husband, Patrick, and his
look-a-like daughter, Rachel.

Dawn's daughter Sarah Jo and
her look-a-like Grammie.

So the next time your belly looks like your parent's or your skin spots look like your grandparent's or you smile looks like the mailman, remember, it's genetics...

God's non-stop punchline.

4 comments:

Paul said...

I wonder if I look like Clarence, the milk man.

c.a.b. said...

Out of all the Bauer men, I always thought you and my dad looked very similar. Crappy for you, funny for me...and God.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to God's humor and genetics, Gramma and Grampa called me "The White Kid" behind my back as a child for years. Gramma confessed this one to me just two years ago. Apparently, next to my Lebanese-looking sisters and cousins, I was the token white kid. No couth, I tell ya, none.

Pete Bauer said...

Laura - if you're the "white kid" then I'm the super-white kid, Paul is the ultra-white kid and DC and is the uber-white kid.

Catherine - I agree... and it is sad for me.

Paul - we didn't have a milkman, a pool man or a landscaper, but we did have a mailman. I would look there.