Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Shoulder

I love driving my daughter to school. It's a nice one-on-one time with her and we get to talk about things we wouldn't normally have the time to share with each other. One recent conversation revolved around being the role of "the shoulder to cry on."

So many of my daughter's friends rely on her for advice and help. I told her this is an honor. She must represent to them someone who does not waver, who speaks their mind and who will be honest with them.

Still, it leaves my daughter with an interesting conundrum. If your primary relationship with someone is as their unofficial therapist, their go-to shoulder to cry on, does that make you friends or just acquaintances?

I don't know if it's my acting training or just my personality, but I've always found other people's lives far more interesting than my own. I love asking questions and finding out about their lives. I shared with her that, because of this, especially in college, I too was the go-to shoulder to cry on. I can't tell you how many people came to me after a break up or major life event to share their feelings with me.

I didn't mind it for the most part. I LOVE helping people. It's one of the few times in life you feel like you're actually doing something worthwhile, something that matters. I felt extremely blessed that they would trust me when things were so bleak and it was nice to be able to offer some assistance, even if that meant just listening.

However, this conversation with my daughter did get me thinking... I realized that many of the relationships I have with people, from work to church and everywhere in between, is really based on me listening to their problems and that's about it.

Many of these people I consider friends. However, it occurred to me that if I didn't ask them about their problems, they probably wouldn't interact with me at all. So is that really friendship? Doesn't friendship require equal interest and equal interaction by both parties? Or maybe the majority of the relationship has revolved around the therapist/patient dynamic, but that doesn't mean true friendship isn't in there somewhere.

My daughter asked me what to do. I wasn't really sure.

I suggested she step back and see who steps forward. That doesn't mean she won't help when needed, but it may offer insight into how they view their relationship with her. If they only come to her when they need a problem to solve, then she'll know. If they come to her out of genuine interest in her, then she'll know.

After talking with her about it I realized I should probably do the same thing.

True and lasting friendship is a two-way street. It'd be nice to know which way the traffic is heading.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This can become a burden to DC. She may feel she has to solve all their problems when actually she should just listen. The person may not want her advice, just needs her to listen.
Another burden she may have is to "keep it to herslf and not share it with others." This is very difficult, especially if she has a problem with the person in the future.
She may be able to tell them what you just wrote awhile ago. Give it over to the Lord. It's not a cop out, just good advice. Your Mudder

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Paul said...

Is Jessica really a spammer? If not, I hope she learns to read the context clues in a post to determine its subject.

I've been thinking a lot about this post but really don't have an answer for you. I have found that life can be pretty lonely, but I just plug along and try to do the Lord's work. I'll get what I need in Heaven.

Mary K Smith said...

Peter...call your sister Mary.

Pete Bauer said...

Paul, I think you're right. I deleted the entry.

Mary, I will when I can.

Anonymous said...

Pete, I hope you don't get lonely, waiting.

Pete Bauer said...

Haha... yeah, there'll be crickets.

Anonymous said...

Pete/DC - I have often found myself in the same role you are describing with yourselves. I even had professors in college, work colleagues and bosses, confide in me more than any of their peers. Although I was grateful that they trusted me so quickly, it can become a burden at times. What Gramma said has rung true for me. Many times I have found myself feeling responsible for solving someone's problems at my own desire to help them as much as I can.

The question I always ask myself is "How much can I give and expect nothing in return?" Once I think about that, I can decide to be more aware about both sides of the situation/friendship. I think about whether this person has no one else to talk to who they think won't judge them and why I was put in their path and they in mine. Sometimes you need a breather and stepping back to give yourself a break is necessary. If I really feel that someone needs professional help which their friends and family cannot substitute for, I recommend it...