Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Homesick (1988)

Ah, Homesick. For a long time, I hated this project. Not so much that it's all that bad, but that it's so much less than what I had envisioned it to be.

I had been in the theater department at the University of Florida for four years and had been surrounded by plays. So, when I wrote this script, it wasn't so much a movie, but a play on video. A little too wordy, not too interesting visually... and that means the acting had to be solid and the story had to be excellent.

The acting, for the most part, is competent. However, the story is average. It was my first real script... my first attempt at trying to convey a real plot and it suffers from a lack of focus. The story, about a son who comes home after a long absence, had one major flaw: the conflict was between a father and son and the impact of alcoholism on their relationship. But, instead of writing a story about the son confronting the father, it's about the son sharing this long-burning conflict with his mother while the father is not there... an inherently weak dramatic choice. But, you learn by doing.

The reason behind the visual cinematic weakness of Homesick was due to the fact that this was the first project that I didn't storyboard completely. I tried to use a shot list instead of storyboards. What I learned is that I am much more visually creative when I have time to flesh out the storyboards than I am while on the set.

We shot the project in a friend's house over a single 36-hour period. It was exhausting and I'm surprised how well the performances held up, considering how exhausted we were. I used my acting friends from college. Most of them came prepared. One didn't know his lines. Another did it in spite of the fact that she was recovering from having her wisdom teeth removed... what a trooper! I was able to convince a local cable producer, Amy Laakman, to get involved in the project. She was aching to do something creative and we shot it on 3/4" video. In the end, the project suffers from lacking of preparation (no storyboards) and lack of sleep (missing shots which are not noticeable to anyone but me).

Personal Note: During the same weekend of the shoot I was also running the light board at the Constans Theater for UF's summer show Something's Afoot (I think that was the name). After shooting for 36 hours straight I had to go to the theater and run the light board. I was so tired, I laid across the chair with my hand up on the light board. The girl handling audio would wake me when a light queue was coming up and I'd bolt up, hit the queue and then lay back down.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that one. Wasn't one of dad's famous remarks in that one?

Paul said...

I enjoyed helping out on this movie too.

Instead of staying at Pete's and taking a nap I decided the 2.5 hour drive home was manageable. Not so, it was the toughest drive I have ever made. The road was hypnotizing and all I wanted to do was close my eyes. My guardian angel took care of me, though and I made it safely home.

Pete Bauer said...

Yeah, Dad's line about "you may not respect him as your father, but you damn well better respect him as my husband." Of course, in real life that was switched around.