Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Job Interview

Here's another skit I've made... will probably air on a future Theater of the Obvious segment during a Basking in the Son podcast.

****
The Job Interview
By Pete Bauer

JANE

Next?


DENNIS approaches the desk.


DENNIS

Hi, my name is Dennis. I'm here for a job interview?


JANE

You've come to the right place. Our company is growing leaps and bounds.


DENNIS

Company? You mean the government.


JANE

It's all the same now-a-days, isn't it? Government, company, unions, politicians... the lines are so blurry now, I've lost track. So, what job did you want to interview for?


DENNIS

Well...

(opens up paper)

...you listed quite a few here. Here's one I think that I could do very well. Treasurer. I have an extensive background in accounting. I actually ran my own successful accounting firm... that is before the economic downturn. I'm well versed in all of the various state tax requirements and-


JANE

(interrupts)

-Have you paid your taxes on time?


DENNIS

Yes!


JANE

Every year?


DENNIS

Of course!


JANE

Oh... well, that's too bad. We're really looking for someone that hasn't paid their taxes to manage the treasury.


DENNIS

I... I don't understand.


JANE

We're the government, sweet heart. We follow slightly different rules than the "little people."


DENNIS

I see...


JANE

Any other openings spark your fancy?


DENNIS

Um... yes! Well, I see here you are looking for someone to help define safe schools. Well, my mother was a principal for 40 years and I spent most of my college years helping her with-


JANE

(excited)

Ooo, that sounds good. Let me ask you a question! Let's say a student, 15 years old, comes to you and says that they're having intimate relations with an older man. What would you do?


DENNIS

Oh, that's simple! Such an act would be statutory rape. Therefore, I would counsel the student, while notifying the authorities, so the older man could be prosecuted for such a horrible crime with a child.


JANE

(disappointed)

Oh!


DENNIS

What?


JANE

You were so close! But, no, the right answer is to do nothing. Or, in certain cases, actually encourage the relationship.


DENNIS

But we're talking about rape.


JANE

"Rape." What is "rape" now-a-days?


DENNIS

Well... I think they've written laws about that.


JANE

"Laws." What are "laws" now-a-days?


DENNIS
Okay...

(scans paper)

... what about health czar?


JANE

Uh-huh...You're too healthy.


DENNIS

How about Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee?


JANE

You paid your taxes.


DENNIS

Health and Human Services Secretary?


JANE

Taxes!


DENNIS

How about Green Jobs Czar?


JANE

Ooo, are you a capitalist?


DENNIS

Of course!


JANE

Too bad.


DENNIS

Well... is there anything available that you think I'm qualified for in the government?


JANE

Oh! It says right here you are currently a lobbyist.


DENNIS

That's right. I was afraid you'd ask me about that. I know the President stated he wouldn't hire lobbyists. He said it wasn't ethical.


JANE

"Ethics." What are "ethics" now-a-days!

(smiles)

So, when can you start?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sad, isn't it? Love ya, Ma