Monday, August 03, 2009

Kids Journal - 04/21/05

April 21, 2005

Gabe and DC,

It’s been a while since I’ve written. Last night a very funny thing happened and I had to share it.

DC, you’ve been going through quite a bit of changes in your body. Puberty can be a tough thing. Hormones, emotions… tough stuff. So, last night, after your shower, you came out saying you really needed to talk to Mommy, who was out with her friends Trish and Tonia. You call her and it turns out you appeared to have a yeast infection. This is pretty common, but very scary for your. So, I held you in my arms and you cried for a few minutes. It was nice to know that I could still offer you solace during an uncomfortable time like that.

After you cry your fear out, you go back and get changed for bed. When you return you ask me a question: “Dad, who do you think has it worse with infections, boys or girls?” I didn’t understand the question, so I asked it again. “Who do you think has it worse? Boys with infections or girls with infections.” The one thing I’ve learned when discussing sexual topics with children is to never assume they know more than they do. Always ask to explain themselves or you could find yourself explaining topics this child was never interested or even knew about. So, I asked you “what type of infections do boys get?” Embarassed, you said “you know… down there!” “Where?” You replied “Dad!” I asked “the pee-pee?” “Yes!” you answered.

Now I was really confused. What type of infection happens to a pee-pee… and why does my daughter know about it and I don’t. Remembering my own advice, I assume she knows nothing and ask you to elaborate. “What type of infection would a boy get?” “Dad, you know, when the boy gets an infection there. It gets bigger.” Ewww, I thought to myself. An infection that gets bigger? Down there? Ick! Now I’m confused, intrigued and disgusted at the same time. “What type of infection gets bigger?” “Dad, the nurse said that boys get infections there and it gets bigger.”

Then it hit me and I couldn’t help but chuckle to myself.

“Honey,” I replied, “boys don’t get infections, they get erections.” “Oh, right!” you replied, suddenly remembering. “So, which is worse?” you asked. “Definitely girls have it worse with infections.” “I thought so!” you replied like a victorious martyr. Then you started to return to your bedroom, but stopped and said “And the nurse said that, whenever the boys get bigger, to never laugh at them.”

“Now that is advice you should remember for the rest of your life!” I replied and you happily and still innocently walked back to your room to go to bed.

There are sometimes in your life where you never imagined you would have such discussions. They never prepare you for this when you become a parent. It’s something you just have to know can happen on occasion. It ended up that you didn’t have a yeast infection, you were just going through changes. You were very relieved about this.

Love you,

Dad.

No comments: