Thursday, August 06, 2009

Kids Journal - 08/13/03

August 13, 2003

Hello my children,

Well, today was the first day of school. DC, you're entering 5th grade and Gabe, you're entering 1st. This morning, before you left, I sat down with each of you and discussed the year ahead.

DC, you can often fall into a "wounded duck" mode, or "woe is me" mode, which drives your mother and I nuts. That's because, at home, you are so funny and smart and self confident and I expressed that you needed to let those things show this year. I explained that how you act the first week of school will determine how people treat you the entire year. So, I hope you take that advice to heart.

And Gabe, I explained that you had a big year ahead of you and that expectations were going to be high. First grade is a big step in the learning process and that it may get hard some times.

You looked at me and said, "Dad, you know what's gonna be really hard?"

I asked "What?"

With a wave of concern on your face, you said "College!"

I laughed and said "Let's just get through first grade, okay?" You agreed.

Then, for fun Gabe, I had you call Mommy into the bedroom and I explained to her that she had a big year ahead of her with the kids school and her school, house projects... she just looked at me and said "you're an ass."

It was funny.

Anyway, it's off to school! Another new year! Another exciting year!

It makes me so proud to see you leave the house chanting "First day of school! First day of school! First day of school!"

Love,

Dad

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really far behind reading the blogs. I don't know what got into me. That remark from Gabe about college, reminds me about the one about heart disease. He's a deep thinker. I couldn't stop laughing. Well, I did, finally.
Chas and Betty and family will be here this weekend. I'm looking forward to it. Everyone will have used "Pete's chair" before you get a chance to sit in it.
I have spent every evening shredding old tax returns. I have 8 bags of shredded paper to take to the transfer station. I think I shredded the first one you had to make out, or we made out for you. I felt bad afterwards, I should have sent it to you. What I do know is that you either had to pay $7.00 or got $7.00 back. What did you do with it? Gotta go, I'm tired. This getting old is for the birds.

Pete Bauer said...

Ma, you're so adorable. I probably got back $7.00, which I must have spent on my parents. :)

Anonymous said...

Noo...you gave $2.33 to mom and dad.....put $2.33 in savings....and kept $2.34 for yourself. We won['t tell mom and dad that you kept the extra penny for yourself!



LOL Ret