Saturday, June 14, 2008

I'm Officially Out of the Wedding Video Biz

Poor Merrill. I shot her wedding video in November and she still doesn't have a copy. I put the footage onto my computer a few months ago, but since then its been collecting digital dust.

With church and kids and little league and Sonlight Pictures, oh, yeah, and work, I have almost no free hours left in my day.

I was always the go-to guy in the family for shooting a wedding video. Hec, even did a few for people at work! And I was happy to do it.

But, the work doesn't end on the wedding day, it begins. There is getting the footage into the computer, editing it all together, making a DVD of the ceremony, mailing the DVD, keeping a backup, etc. etc. Not hard things to do, mind you, just very time consuming.

My goal is to get Merrill and Jeff's wedding video done by July 4th. With work and Gabe beginning All-Stars, that could be problematic. At the very latest, I promise to get them a copy before their first anniversary. Pathetic, yes. Reality? Probably.

Sadly, their's will be my last family wedding video. One of my younger nieces or nephews will have to pick up the mantle and carry on the tradition.

For me, it will be a nice, refreshing change to actually sit with my family during the ceremony and soak in the event, instead of worry about framing and audio and lighting and continuity. I can't wait for the next wedding when I can simply squeeze my wife's left hand as another family member starts their married life together.

Then I can turn and wave to the camera.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uncle Pete - I don't blame you for your desire to case the video camera during future weddings. I always wondered how you did it in the past - working during a celebration. I know why you did it and know that all have appreciated your hard work. You're right - either someone else will have to take up the torch or give another person some business...

Thankfully, I am not your kid. Otherwise, I could take advantage of the situation by whining and saying "But you did it for Merrill?!" :p

Love you - enjoy some boys only time in your house!

Cassie said...

I'm glad you'll get to sit and enjoy the weddings now!!! They're always so nice from a guests view. It must be difficult to always view your family's weddings from behind the camera.

I've been reading your blog regularly and enjoy it!

Did you video my and Phillip's wedding? I don't remember.

Kristin said...

Hopefully Merrill won't have to wait as long as we did. That can be your realistic goal. We didn't see our wedding until last July when we were at your house. That's only 7 years after we got married. But, you had it done. I think you just didn't know we didn't have a copy. The thing is though, you didn't videotape ours. You were on the operating table during our wedding, so I'm not sure who actually filmed ours. I think it might have been Paul Bauer. But, we have it now. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I must be your favorite niece because I don't remember waiting very long for ours! I'm glad you'll be able to sit with your family and enjoy the weddings. We appreciate you filming ours - we always think of you when we watch it! Love you!

Ramsey Days said...

Wow, you put them on dvd's?? Ours is on a VHS!!!...and I dont think there was much editing on ours, because there are several loooooooooong talks by you uncles on their, making fun of each other -- nothing to do with our wedding :)!!

Thank you Uncle Pete :)

Love you tons
KT

Poor Merrill.

Pete Bauer said...

Laura - it is a little sad that I won't be video taping you and Catherine's weddings. But, I hope I'm still invited.

Cass - Yup, shot your wedding too.

Kristi - yeah, well, I wasn't on an operating table, but I was at the emergency room getting my new surgery site sewed up again.

Christina - You were one of the lucky ones.

KT - that's because the uncles were more interesting.

Kristin said...

Oooooooh, Katie...he's saying your wedding was boring!!!!

Charles Bauer said...

No, he's just trying to say that after KT's wedding he, and all of us, were well rested.

Ramsey Days said...

i dont like you guys.....

Cassie said...

Wow! What are the odds you have a copy of it laying around? We were sad that we didn't have a video of it? Of course, there's no pressure to find it or anything, just wondering.

Pete Bauer said...

Cass - I have a copy. I can give it to you.

Cassie said...

You're my HERO!!!! Officially my favorite Uncle-in-law!!!

Cricket said...

Pete - take heart. Theresa's brother Bobby video taped Paul & Jacklyn's wedding in March of 07. Still haven't see it. And he does video taping for a living at the Exchange and fees it to the news channels! Not sure when it will see the light of day!

I remember Katie's wedding. We had a blast...they looked nervous!