Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Demon Files Journal - July 1993 Part 2

July 19, 1993

Well, things continue to slowly come together. Met with John Bauer and Don Koehler, Sr. to discuss incorporations, articles of incorps, selling shares, etc. It was very helpful and gives me a plan to help make Bauer 8 Productions and Echo Filmworks real entities. It was nice to talk about the business aspect of this stuff. I work on the creative side so much that I never think I'll actually make any money at this. But, after talking with them I have a game plan, a structured path that I can take to start the process of actually making a living at this stuff.

Talked to Shelly Maxwell and found out she got the job approved for her assistant at CPN in Clearwater, Florida and now she is going to try to secure the position for me. It may be a hard fight, but Shelly's got more energy and will power than anyone else I know. If she can't pull it off, it can't be pulled off.

Dea and DC are spending the next few weeks down in Clearwater with her family, who just moved into a nice 3 bedroom house. For a rental house it's very nice and spacious. I miss my wife and child very much. I was supposed to be down with them, but Chris Gifford (my boss) started me work on getting time codes for scenes that they want to enter in the ACE awards. Unfortunately (kind of), he started me on this Thursday. Well, there was no way I could pull off getting it done in two days, so he had me work another week, which is a Godsend, cause Dea and I desperately need the money. But, I will miss them very much. Even the two days I didn't see DC last week were hard. I mean, she changed so much in those two days. It's strange being a father.

One last thing. Dad Koehler, after moving into the house, was able to take everything out of the storage unit he had. Well, lo and behold, he has an extremely powerful light. So, the bright light problem I thought I was going to have, especially when filming the Attic scene with silhouetting Caldwell and the shafts of light in the garage police station scene. But, with this light, my problems may have been solved.

One more thing. I realized on the drive back to Orlando that there are some days that I may not have a cameraman. I know that sounds incredibly stupid, but with all of the other specifics I've had to deal with, I forgot about the obvious. It's just, that when ever I've done a project in the past, I've always had either Chris L. or Paul to camera for me. Well, they both have lives and jobs now and since the bulk of the filming takes during weekdays, that could be a problem. Chris Linn and I are meeting tomorrow night to make sure everything is scheduled correctly. Hopefully, that will include the cameraman. We'll see. But, even though I'm concerned about it, I know the Lord will provide. I mean, He wouldn't have everything fall into place EXCEPT the camere man! I just have to be patient and have faith.

Well, that's it for now. Paul is on vacation in NC, John is on vacation in PA and NC. I'm not.

PFB


July 20, 1993

Well, the days keep going by and I still have so much to do. I still don't know about the dolly thing. Lee Ann Larsen, who's working on "Legends" with Chris Linn, was going to check with her friend over at Disney, but I haven't heard anything back yet. How do you press someone to do you a favor? Well, that's my problem. I can't, really. I have to be patient, I guess.

Also, I made some additions to the script that I would like to state. I have two problems with the main character. First, his shame. It's mentioned in the first draft and since I haven't rewritten it yet, I have yet to address Poole's shame and such. So, a way I thought I could show what state of existence his "past" has put him in I decided to add a little bit to the Miles/Train Station scene. When Miles is sleeping as Poole writes in his diary, Poole will notice a couple bucks sticking partially out of Miles' pocket. Quietly and skillfully, Poole will reach over and steal the money. But, (as not to make Poole a total dick for stealing money from a bum) Poole ends up sticking one dollar back into Miles' pocket. I was worried that stealing from a bum would be too much, but it states clearly how bad this guy's life is and what he has to do to survive.

Another problem I had with Poole was his relationship with Nicole. Since the location and equipment won't allow me to shoot the scene as I want, I'll have to add another scene. The original idea was to show Nicole and Eric talking in the interrogation room. The camera would then pull back and show Poole looking through the window on the door, turning away in pain at seeing Nicole and Eric so close. Since Chris' garage won't allow me to shoot the scene that way, I've added another scene which also solves another minor problem I had. See, Nicole and Poole go up to Apopka to see Caldwell in the morning. They then go to a cafe at night and discuss it. The scene ends with Nicole saying they had to leave, because she needed to see Eric in the morning. Well, it makes no sense to have them at a cafe at night since it's only 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive max to Orlando from Tampa Bay. Also, the next scene was Nicole and Eric in the scene mentioned above. Well, that takes place in the morning also, and I thought the audience would have some confusion determining the day change since the Caldwell scene and now cafe scene, and the Nicole/Eric scene all take place in the morning. So, I added a scene after the cafe scene. Poole will be reading a xeroxed article of the Caldwell stabbing when he looks up, noticing that Nicole has fallen asleep on the couch. He smiles, then stares at her face, his strong love for her overwhelming him. He'll then get up, cross over to her and slowly move his face within inches of hers, their lips almost touching. Just as he is about to kiss her, he stops himself and steps back. He wakes her up, she goes to bed and he sits alone, depressed, etc. This, I think, better establishes his relationship with her as well as solve the time/day change problem I mentioned earlier.

Well, it's pay day. I have to go to the bank and to Consumer Credit to drop off a money order. Talk again soon. PFB


July 21, 1993

Well, I've been filling my depressing times away from my beautiful wife and newborn child by working as hard as I can on TDF. Yesterday had it's good and bad points. The bad was that Matt Day is going to Florida State University today, not in a few weeks as he had originally planned, so he will be unable to help on the project. Chris Linn and I went out with Matt and a few of his friends to Julie's Lakeside and chatted and stuff. It was a lot of laughs. The good was that Steve Holland, a very funny guy who's working on Welcome Freshman here at Nick., is on hiatus during filming week and he will probably be the cameraman throughout. We're going to look over the schedule and make some decisions there. After we figure out which days he can do it (hopefully all of them), we're going to go over the storyboards and discuss the shots.

The next person I have to get in contact with is Mark Rickles, to see if he can do sound. I really want him to do it. I trust him very much, he's very competent. I know this sounds bad, but I hope he's not working that week. I'm also trying to get Ali Lyons to help me during the first part of the week, before Rachel Tench gets in town and can take her place. The prayers just keep going.

I got a call from PB this morning around 8:00 a.m. He had to call so early because he's working some really strange hours. He liked the first script and is going to read the rest now that he's back from vacation. He also said he'd send me a picture so I can make the fake newspaper article. He's planning on coming up Wednesday, August 4th so we can rehearse the day before we shoot all of his scenes. If all goes really well, he could be outta there by Thursday afternoon. He's not planning on leaving until Friday morning, however, just in case the gods of video are against us.

Got a letter from Jennifer Cook the other day (actually addressed to Chris Linn and I since she didn't have my address). She's in South Africa working on a show for the Family Channel, a voice coach for a German actor. She'll be there until December. It's weird how people just pop into your life every once and a while.

I'm going to call Shelly Maxwell today to see what's happening on the job front. Since I'm going to be in Clearwater next week, I want to set up an interview for the job during that time. After that it will be very difficult to fit it in as Clarissa starts up in late August. Like Dea said to me last night, she hopes that when she comes back to Orlando after vacation that its in order to pack. God, I sincerely hope so.

Also met with Chris Linn after going out with Matt and friends. We discussed the schedule and found out that he will be unavailable for almost the entire filming. How convenient. Unfortunately, the show Legends is filming that week and it's going to be hard for him to work less than 12 hours a day, let alone help out on our day shoots. The next big prayer? NO RAIN DURING FILMING. If it rains, I'm seriously screwed. You don't think the Lord has that bad of a sense of humor, do you? I hope not.

Well, that's it for now. Until later. I've got a big list of things to do today. Hope I get them all done. It's getting down to crunch time. Adios - PFB


July 22, 1993

Went to KMart and picked up the handcuffs for PB's role (Eric) and some clothes pins for lighting purposes. Talked to Paul in NC and he's said he should be available for the Sunday August 1 shoot of the Ed and Poole scenes.

Got a call from Pete Bailoff today re: my One View Only script. He was very excited about the idea and thought it was very marketable. He said that it needed some structure and dialogue work, but that the idea was very good. He is going to talk to an important person at New Line pictures, as well as a cable company and a movie of the week person. He's going to see if he "can get you an option" on the script. He said I should know something in the next few days. WOULDN'T THAT BE COOL, TO SEE A SCRIPT I WROTE ON THE SILVER SCREEN? Too weird.

Well, that's about all for now (isn't that enough?). Until tomorrow. PFB


July 23, 1993

Pete Bailoff called again re: One View Only. He said he liked a lot of the aspects of the script, especially Michelle's lure toward the video camera and the lure/danger relationship it has with her. He really liked all of the "red herrings" that I have out there (it could be Eric the club owner, Jack, the delivery man, the husband, the Pizza Man, etc.). He does think, however, that rewrites are in its future, but he doesn't want me to do that yet because he wants to see if someone will pay me to do it first.

He is also going to send me a form to sign which basically gives him the right as "producer" to pitch the idea for a year period, after which I can try to get someone else to pitch it for me. Basically, his agent is worried that Pete could be doing all this work for me and I could have some other producer try to pitch it too. So, he's just covering his ass. He said if I didn't understand any part of it, or if I wanted to omit some things, or add some things, just to call and we would hammer it out. He's doing a project with New Line right now and is talking to them, as well as Universal Television, which did his "Quicksand" USA movie with Donald Sutherland and Tim Matheson. He's talking to them too. I should receive the form early next week. Don't worry, I'm going to read it very carefully.

Talked to Bob Swan, down at Aero Nova. He'll be playing "Miles" in TDF. I gave him his call time and costume/make-up notes. So, he's fine with coming in August 7th, at around 9 a.m. It's been a full few days. Now, I'll be off work for the next two weeks and will be putting this shit together. Come on Lord, keep things going, and KEEP THE RAIN AWAY DURING SHOOT WEEK! Thanks.

Until next time. PFB

No comments: