Friday, October 16, 2009

The Demon Files Journal - March 1994

March 21, 1994

Well, it seems like projects never end. I've been really busy over the past few months trying to get work and writing INDEPENDENCE DAY (Note: After the release of the Will Smith I-Day, the title was changed to Cold Storage). I really like I-DAY and it's a better written script than ONE VIEW ONLY. I entered I-DAY into the 94 Houston-Worldfest and I hope to hear some good news in a few weeks.

As far as TDF goes - I was talking with Pam Ginsburg, who is now the script supervisor on MY BROTHER AND ME. Well, she wants to get into post work, like editing. And she has talked to Karen Powell and to Operations about learning to edit. Well, if all goes well, and she is able to learn to edit, she's going to learn by editing TDF. Right now I'm trying to get the tapes transfered to Beta, in case we're able to use the Beta decks. I'll have to get the Lord's help on that.

DC's really cute. She said 'mama' for the first time this past weekend. She said 'dada' about two weeks ago. Unfortunately, she doesn't know what they mean or how much we loved those words coming out of her mouth.

Back to TDF. Paul was telling me that the man who created BABYLON 5 on tv has outlined the first 100 episodes! That's amazing. But, it makes the show so much better than STAR TREK TNG or STAR TREK DS9, because not everything is solved in the last five minutes of the show. On B-5, some questions are raised one week and answered four weeks later. There's a nice sense of mystery that TNG and DS9 really miss. Anyway, after hearing about the outline, I was like, hell, if he can outline 100 shows, I can expand TDF to 13 without much problem.

So, I went through the script and I was amazed at how little was covered in the seven episodes, and how much material there is to expand on for the new six. There were so many things about the characters and subtlties of the plot that were in my head, but never put down into the script, so expanding shouldn't be that much of a problem.

We're going to expand Ivan's involvement in the script by an episode. We're basically going to turn episode 4 into two seperate scripts. We're also going to add a episode where Poole and Nicole, while hunting the demon, stay in a hotel or something that held passionate events for them at one time in their life. I'm going to add an episode with a friend that Poole met on his travels that happens to come into town, revealing a lot of his hidden past. There's also stuff about the death of his parents and about Ed's underground network of friends that I want to work on. So, I'll keep you up to date as I find out.

Until next time...

PFB

No comments: