Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Divine Disobedience

During Mass this past Sunday, a particular phrase from the second reading stuck in my mind... from Romans, Chapter 11:

"For God delivered all to disobedience, that he might have mercy upon all."

What does that mean? That God has guided us to be disobedient so that he can show us His mercy? Or that, because of His mercy, we are delivered from disobedience?

The more I try to understand my Catholic faith, the less I know. It's like I have just finished reading the cover of a large book, only to discover that, with the turn of a page, there is a vast amount of information yet to digest and understand.

I'll probably finally understand it all about three seconds before I leave this planet... if I'm lucky.

1 comment:

Pete Bauer said...

Mary - I agree. His mercy is beyond my comprehension... and it must include being merciful to my stupidity for not understanding Him :)