Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Marriage and Priorities

My parents celebrated their 60th Wedding Anniversary this year. Amazing. My wife and I happily celebrated our 13th Anniversary this past July.

The most important thing my parents ever taught me about marriage is about priorities. They were always very clear that God came first, the Spouse came second and Children third. As a child I was a little disconcerted that I wasn't higher up on the food chain, but how can you argue with supplanting God and your parents?

Another great lesson of marriage came from Father Bob Stevens who was our priest at our wedding. He said that he was always surprised that couples would get so offended by sexual infidelity because a number of other infidelities would have had to occur before the sexual one comes into play. If you prioritize work over your spouse, or a hobby over your spouse or even your children over your spouse, these are all infidelities. Yet we put up with them. Unresolved, however, they inevitably lead to sexual infidelity, because they all lead you away from your spouse.

In the end, marriage is hard work, but incredibly rewarding. My wife is my best friend. Her strength compensates for all of my weaknesses. Without her, I am less than half the man I am today.

As long as we keep our priorities straight, hopefully we can hold hands on our 60th Wedding Anniversary... just like my parents.

No comments: