Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Goin' Out To Cally – Part 36, Brainwaves And Magnetism

That night as we ate dinner I shared my Pete Producer lunch experience with my travel companions and hosts. Sunday was very excited, Tim and Beth a little less so and Paul and Anne, who worked behind the magical curtain of the mouse, far less so, but were more enthused about the opportunity that the lunch could one day hopefully provide me.

After dinner, as we readied ourselves for bed, I could overhear Sunday talking to David on the phone again. Part of me wanted to give them their privacy, the other part of me wanted to eaves drop so I could understand the driving connection between them.

At first glance, David and Sunday just didn’t seem to be the ideal couple. David was older than the rest of us, having gone to high school abroad then traveled a bit before finally going to college. He wasn’t the most motivated guy, but he wasn’t overtly lazy either. He just approached everything with a very mellow mindset.

Sunday was both sexy and flighty, driven yet scatterbrained. She was much more particular about things then David and seemed more naïve, almost vulnerable, in many ways.

Perhaps that was the magnetic force that pulled them together, their opposites. It was the second time while in college that I found two people from seemingly opposite sides of the personality fence ending up together. The other couple was Jay and Leslie. Jay was over six foot, not too graceful, very funny with curly hair that was already thinning. More than anything else, Jay was goofy. Leslie was a stunning beauty of a woman with the looks of Grace Kelly who radiated confidence and strength. By their senior year they were dating seriously.

It seemed weird really. No one in the theater department could figure it out.

One day Leslie and I were walking together between classes and I told her, with as much disarming humor as I could generate, that everyone was confused by the success of their relationship.

She turned to me and said “He’s the only person I’ve met who thinks the way I do.”

Out of all of the possible reasons for their mutual attraction, brainwaves and approach to life seemed the farthest from our minds. But, the more I thought about it, the more it made sense.

So, maybe there was some sort of mental attraction, some similar viewpoint or approach to life that had drawn Sunday and David together.

Whatever the reasons, I knew one thing… if Sunday kept wearing those sexy lingeries to bed, something much more basic would be drawing me to her… and it wouldn’t have anything to do about thinking.

Before they could finish their conversation, I decided to avoid the inevitable struggle of trying not to look at Sunday as she went to bed and, instead, slid into my sleeping bag early. This night as my mind began to float as I drifted off to sleep, I wondered if, one day, I too would find my opposite with who's relationship would make sense to no one but ourselves. If I could, then I could join the ranks of Jay and Leslie and Dave and Sunday... a happy odd couple.

And so ended the seventh day on our trip to Cally.


********

Part 36, (Text, Audio) - Part 35, (Text, Audio) - Part 34, (Text, Audio)
Part 33, (Text, Audio) - Part 32, (Text, Audio) - Part 31, (Text, Audio)
Part 30, (Text, Audio) -
Part 29, (Text, Audio) - Part 28, (Text, Audio)
Part 27, (Text, Audio) - Part 26, (Text, Audio) - Part 25, (Text, Audio)
Part 24, (Text, Audio) - Part 23, (Text, Audio) - Part 22, (Text, Audio)
Part 21, (Text, Audio) - Part 20, (Text, Audio) - Part 19, (Text, Audio)
Part 18, (Text, Audio) - Part 17, (Text, Audio) - Part 16, (Text, Audio)
Part 15, (Text, Audio) - Part 14, (Text, Audio) - Part 13, (Text, Audio)
Part 12 (Text, Audio) - Part 11 (Text, Audio) - Part 10 (Text, Audio)
Part 09, (Text, Audio) - Part 08, (Text, Audio) - Part 07 (Text, Audio)
Part 06 (Text, Audio) - Part 05 (Text, Audio) - Part 04 (Text, Audio)
Part 03 (Text, Audio) - Part 02 (Text, Audio) - Part 01 (Text, Audio)


1 comment:

Pete Bauer said...

Don't think so.